NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nuts!

allie

We've only given Mr. Neko nuts out of their shells. A big favorite is pine nuts!

Jer had a good idea to teach him how nuts in the shell work. We got him some pistachios so that he can see what he's going for, and 'escalated' to peanuts, which require some more engineering but have a soft shell. Eventually we're thinking he can upgrade to some harder-shelled nuts so that he can get a little more foraging into his treat time.

I'm also trying to teach him the 'found a peanut' song :P

Do y'all have other recommendations on favorite nuts and snacks for the thinking bird?

Giving a bird nuts is a great idea. Slightly cracking a shell, giving it to your bird will help him learn how to do the job. One thing though--Just remember that pistachios contain salt which is a no no. Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts are very good and have natural vitamins in them.

One thing though--Just remember that pistachios contain salt which is a no no

Thank you for the reminder! These nuts came from the bird store, so they're unseasoned. But we also get him stuff from the grocery store, and I might not think to look for added salt.

Biscotti loves almonds in the shell, has no problem getting to the nut! Walnuts don't interest him near as much, even when split in halves. It's interesting hearing all the fids favorites. I'm going to have to try him with pistachios!

So far Spencer is scared of nuts in the shell. I took a brazil nut to him once and got the freak-out pterodactyl scream.... took the top of an almond off the other day so he could see the nut and he backed away from it, quickly tongued the shell and was NOT impressed and backed away more. lol! Meanwhile, he loves unshelled nuts. Oh well!

Kazoo loves peanuts in the shell, Simon loves peanuts and whole almonds, and Oboe loves peanuts and walnut crumbs.

Please don't feed your fid's "Peanuts in the Shell" If you wish to feed "Peanuts", only use "Roasted no salt" can peanuts[human]. Don't feed peanuts that come in parrot food.

Most all other nuts are better for your fid's then peanuts. 1 almond a day contains more calcium the you could imagine.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?115338-ASPERGILLOSIS/page3 [by Dave007] can be extremely deadly.

Edited by Jayd
added http:

Pine nuts are a huge hit around my house and with 7 parrots they have varying tastes on everything. Pine Nuts is an agreed on subject. Brazil nuts - only Sterling will eat them, Walnuts - Morgan; Almonds - all the greys (Dixie, Beau & Yoshi). Unsalted, unshelled roasted sunflower seeds are used for training. Pecans - well those are mine...lol.

Robin