NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Home maintenance and decorating projects - Safety!

allie

I've seen information about home maintenance and decorating materials harming your birds. Is there a definitive list of things you can do, and things you absolutely must not do?

Is it safe to remove wallpaper and re-hang wallpaper?

Is it EVER ok to paint?

Drywall repair? (which of course leads to painting, but in itself...?)

What about tiling and grout work?

We live in an 800SQF condo. So while we can move Neko to another room, we can't create a lot of distance. We'll move him out someday when we tackle "big" projects like redoing the floors or changing and repainting the walls. But we're too scared to tackle smaller projects and repairs, so I'd like to know what's safe.

Thanks in advance!

Allie

• 3 years later...

Anything that involves chemicals can indeed harm your bird as they may inhale it and make them sick. I really suggest that whenever you have some projects going in your house, relocate your pet. You can ask a fellow bird-lover to take care of your pet while your house in still not conducive for your pet to live.

Anything that gives off fumes... is ESPECIALLY harmful to your birds. We don't go crazy but use common sense such as " paint during the summer when windows can be open". Redo hardwood floors during the summer as well. ( I would move bird out for this for a week!) Wallpaper removal and other nonfume projects, I have never had an issue with it. IO am cautious with paint and move my birds into my room when painting downstairs. It is a treat for them to be moved into my room. They tend to be on extra good behavior! Both Sunny and Sophie are very quiet until I stir around 7am on day off. I know they prefer it be a 24/7 occurence, but it won't happen. LOL! Nancy