NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Keeping my cat intimidated

allie

I have a 13 year old "street urchin" cat, Miette. She has had to fend for herself (AKA she has probably killed birds for food). She was about 6 months old when I found her, but shortly after I brought her home she spawned 6 babies (talk about kittens having kittens!). I gave them all away except for Oedepuss ("Eddie"). Now they're both middle-aged.

I was worried about bringing Neko into a small home full of predators. As it turns out, Eddie doesn't understand what Neko is, but he doesn't want anything to do with the bird. Miette, on the other hand, has been attempting to understand whether she should fear him or consider eating him. A large bird like an eagle or a hawk might swoop down and get her, but a sparrow makes a nice snack. A grey? Somewhere in the middle.

Naturally, we encourage any fear or discomfort she might feel around him. We hold her up to his cage and when she meows and sasses, he mocks her beautifully. He also says, "Hi Meitte!" whenever she complains. It seems pretty cruel, but it feels like a necessary evil.

Recently, she seems more comfortable around him. Sometimes I catch her looking at him with what I interpret as "predator eyes." We don't have any real means of keeping them physically separated, which means we must maintain a watchful eye, push the cat away when she's too close, and never leave the room when he's vulnerable. Still, you always fear the worst.

What do you all do to discourage predatory ways and/or encourage a healthy respect for your feathered friends?

IMG_4703.jpg

I find the birds themselves take the initiative in taming the cat. But I don't leave them alone together when the birds are out of their cages. The lovebird is too tempting, and Simon the Grey is just a baby. Kazoo, the Amazon, is the best equipped to deal with the cat, but I still don't feel 100% comfortable with that situation.

Just today, while I was preparing the dog's supper and meds, Simon crash-landed on the floor, mere feet from the cat. The cat and I both lunged, but I shouted at the same time, which momentarily startled the cat, and I reached Simon first.

My cat isn't hugely predatory, but he does have instincts and he's curious about the birds. If he had reached Simon first, I don't think he would have gone for the instant kill. But you never know.

Honestly, it's not a comfortable situation. I would feel a lot more at ease with my birds if I didn't have a cat.

What do you all do to discourage predatory ways and/or encourage a healthy respect for your feathered friends?

We don't let the cats and the parrots interact at all. In our household, considering the ever-vigilant and accomplished hunters we have... it would be deadly if they did.