NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Unique Question... Vacuums?

So we're experiancing Ruffles' first molt and he is unbelievably messy! Feathers, dust and he has now taken to throw his food around when he finds something in his dish he doesn't care for.

So I guess my question is: can anyone recommend a good vacuum that can handle a messy bird? We've managed to ruin two already (feathers clogged up the hose and seeds got into the engine) so we're desperate for advice on a heavy duty vacuum!

Much obliged! :)

When I first saw them advertised, I thought they couldn't be any good. But the Roomba 560 we have for our bird room does an absolutely awesome job. What makes it so good is that it's automatic, runs on a daily schedule, and picks up both pellets, feathers, down and powder. It just works. It starts up, does it cleaning around the room for about 30-45 minutes, and returns to its cradle for a recharge.

Of course, it needs to be cleaned once a week, but it keeps our room picked up. This is a bird room with at least five greys in it, so you can imagine the cleaning load. The Roomba is quite pricey but worth it.

Thanks all! I'll definitely look into the wet vac and Roomba. One of the vacuums we already managed to destroy was an Oreck that was way too much of a hassle, otherwise I would look into that too. :)

I'm just shocked at the amount of feathers that end up EVERYWHERE! I look at Ruffles and wonder how he isn't bald, and he's no where near it. He's as poofy as ever! Lol

I have this vac:

Hoover Whisper Cyclonic Upright Vacuum, U5184900

Been using it for 7 months w/Spencer and it seems to do a great job. :) And it is quieter than a standard vac. It fills up quick with bird stuff so I like that its bagless. If the hose gets clogged due to a big bird toy piece, its easy to fix. I would have preferred a few more attachments to speed up sucking pellets from under the cage, but no complaints other than that and I would buy it again.

I hear ya on the amount of feathers... and they tend to congregate in corners he doesn't even go near!

I love my Dyson! of course I pick up all big pieces and actually sweep the tile floors first and lift the edge of the carpet to get whatever may get under there and then vacuum away. With all the dander of the birds I couldn't live without the dyson.

Robin

Not that my approach is the most budget friendly...but I use a two pronged approach....A Dyson vacuum and a Bissel Spot Bot. The Dyson I understand can be cost prohibitive, but I personally would never go back after having one...but any vacuum will do a fine job. The main thing is your poop stains...the Spot Bot is absolutely brilliant. I don;t find myself using the auto clean mode as much because it uses a lot of the cleaning solution. But that little hand vac part of it is awesome for poop stains.