NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

OOps... I probably should have started here!

Hello All!

My name is Cindy.. and, I am a lover of the Grey.

I lost my sweet Nikki just 5 short days ago. She was only 18 years old.

She had an outrageously high cholesterol level. It was just too late to change it when we discovered it. We didn't have the time we needed.. and, I held her on Friday for almost 3 hours as she had a series of strokes.. Although it was SO hard.. I am thankful to have been able to be with her and comfort her during that time.

I initially thought I came here just to warn you all about Nikki's cause of death, so you could make sure your Gray babies were ok.. but, I've found this forum to be a good place for me to spend some time and read about your babies as well. I think I'll stick around! :)

I might need some guidance if I do decide to get a new baby!

Hello Cindy and welcome to our family, so sorry to hear of your loss.

Nikki's life was way too short but maybe one day another grey will find its way into your life for you know full well how they enrich our lives with their presence and who knows maybe it will be a rehome or rescue grey for they do exist in many numbers because of people who cannot comprehend how much time and attention they require.

I had not been aware that high cholesterol could be such a life threatening problem for them but I know now, thanks for making us aware.

I read your post in the health room and I am very sorry for your loss. But I would like to take the time to welcome you to the forum and hope that some day you may take in anouther gery to love when the time is right. The good people here share in your grief.

• 2 weeks later...

Please do, we need your input and I hope our heart felt prayers reach you. In Grey's and other parrots, saturated fat can be disastrous to them as it is to humans. This is why it its important that we feed them the proper nuts which provide "EFA" [Essential Fatty Acid's] in the proper amounts, fresh veggies, legumes, grains and very little fruit, and to remember not to rely upon "Pellets", but use them as a supplement to a natural diet. Vinegar is another product useful in maintaining a healthy heart and blood system. Fish a couple times a week, [wild salmon] helps supply "Omega 3", one of the few things that will reduce "Triglycerides", along with the vinegar.

May our prayers comfort you, a wonderful parront you are.....

Welcome and thanks for sharing your time with us during this period of grief. When you are up to it, we could learn a lot from your years with Nikki. If you have pictures to share that would be wonderful too. She may be gone from your home but she will always be in your heart. Someday when you are ready the right match may come along for you to start a new journey and until then, you can share in our lives and enhance our appreciation of our own companions.