NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My African Grey screeches when she knows I'm around but.....

Llilithe

My African Grey screeches when she realizes I'm in the house - but she isn't getting any attention from me (or she can't see me). The sound drives my wife crazy as she has super-sensitive hearing. Is there a way to train Koko to not screech? People who tell me some wise-ass remark like I shouldn't have a parrot if I won't accept the screeching need not respond - please.

I'm only looking for constructive help.

Also, once in awhile, my parrot gets "bitchy" with me and bites my hand -

HARD!!! The only way I can get her to let go is to shake my hand violently until she can't hold on any longer. By that time, I am usually bleeding profusely. This is not normal behaviour for her and I don't know what sets her off - but I can sometimes see in her eyes that an attack is coming.

Other times, she catches me by surprise. 95% of the time, she is a great pet and, during the day, she is always outside her cage with plenty of food and water - and toys. Any "constructive" recommendations would be appreciated. Wise-ass remarks - keep to yourself!!! I don't need them - and I have no intention of getting rid of my pet. I'd just like to improve the situation. Thanks...........

Neighbour complained about the noise of the three conures outside - can't say I blame him. So I've now got the 3 conures in here with me (I quite like the three of them squawking to each other - it's surprisingly not as bad as just one squawking at me) and the other 5 birds outside in the aviary during the day, and back in when it's dark.

Jasper (my existing conure) played hell with them and tried to chase them off. Then he fell in love with the female, and she seems to have taken him in preference to the male she came with. But they all seem to be happy sitting near each other, no attacking.

Grey's aren't really taking any notice. The macaw chased the new amazon a bit, but he does that with all of the birds. The 2 amazons don't seem to have clicked - but then mine is 5 and the new one is 9 months. She's really cute - semi-hand-reared, she sits on my finger, but no cuddling or stroking like the hand reared one.

Your bird is trying to communicate with you. This is called contact calling and she is calling to you and expecting one back. This reassures your bird that all is well. If you're not responding the calls will get louder and screaming will be inevitable. The next time you disappear from sight or walk out of the room and she calls you could call back using your own whistle. If she screams keep up with the whistle and eventually your bird will learn the whistle too, she should then learn that to receive a contact call from you she uses the whistle and there is no need for a frustrated scream. My Grey screamed initially and now I've taught him a two-toned whistle which is easy for me and even easier for him. Hope this helps, patience is the key.

• 5 months later...

I'm a new CAG owner and just this morning I had goofball on one hand and a cup of coffee in the other when he reached down and grabbed my thumb. He started clamping down and having no free hands and not even thinking I instinctivly blew on him. He imediattly let go and looked at my like "what the hell was THAT"

I may try doing that if if happens again. He normally never bites (hard). Ususally a friendly grab.

hope that helps somwhow

only answer acceptable communication. She will try many different calls to get your response. Patience.... Instruct everyone who comes to you home not to answer screeching at all-not even with a look in her direction. When she tries a different call immediatly respond with Quiet but enthusiastic attention and praise. Even whisper sing often to her from the other room so she knows whisper and sing is communication too.

• 8 months later...

Beckette occasionally bites me too. Usually she bites when I am going to do something that she doesn't want - like put her back in her cage! I have gotten better at reading her recently, and so have avoided bites. When she goes for me I distract her with my other hand, so she gets confused and misses the bite.

If you see that she is going to bite, put her down immediately. You want to be in a situation where she doesn't bite you. If you need to pick her up again and she is still bitey use a dowel for her to step up on, so she doesn't have the opportunity to bite you. You might also carry a washcloth so if she goes for you you can give it to her to occupy her mouth.

good luck. I am actually scab free for the moment, but it took almost 2 years. now I am just scarred!

I respect her right to make choices as well. If she doesn't feel social I don't make her. She is an intelligent being, and has a will of her own, and I try to allow her to make choices.

• 1 month later...

Mysticode wrote:

Your bird is trying to communicate with you. This is called contact calling and she is calling to you and expecting one back. This reassures your bird that all is well. If you're not responding the calls will get louder and screaming will be inevitable. The next time you disappear from sight or walk out of the room and she calls you could call back using your own whistle. If she screams keep up with the whistle and eventually your bird will learn the whistle too, she should then learn that to receive a contact call from you she uses the whistle and there is no need for a frustrated scream. My Grey screamed initially and now I've taught him a two-toned whistle which is easy for me and even easier for him. Hope this helps, patience is the key.

Hi, my Grey Bella and my Conure Jigme both do the contact call when I disappear from their view. Bella makes the beeping sound of the house alarm (that's what she hears when I leave the house and set the alarm), and Jigme has a cute little call that he only uses when he's calling for me. When they do it, I call their names back to them so they know I'm around. Nine times out of ten they'll simply follow me after I've called to them.

Welcome Nychsa!!!

Contact calling is universal in nature as you and others have stated. Don't you just love it :-)

Since your new here, why don't you go over to the Welcome Room and Introduce yourself? Everyone will then realize we have a new member. :-)

I hope you find you stay here enjoyable. We do have a lively crowd here with lots of experience and are more than eager to help and just chat also.

We love photos, so when you get a chance, post some photos :woohoo:

danmcq wrote:

Welcome Nychsa!!!

Contact calling is universal in nature as you and others have stated. Don't you just love it :-)

Since your new here, why don't you go over to the Welcome Room and Introduce yourself? Everyone will then realize we have a new member. :-)

I hope you find you stay here enjoyable. We do have a lively crowd here with lots of experience and are more than eager to help and just chat also.

We love photos, so when you get a chance, post some photos :woohoo:

Hi there!

Thank you for the welcome. I've jumped over to the Welcome room and wrote a little about our interesting environment. I look foward to chatting with everyone.

Cheers!

N