NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rescued a parakeet on Friday

ZivaDiva

I went to PetCo to pick up some cat food and noticed a parakeet in a cage by the front door in the adoption section. There was paperwork stating a woman had left him the night before. The paperwork had check boxes and one asked if a vet visit was needed and the NO box was checked. Then the notes below said the bird wasn't eating.

I looked at him and his beak was very overgrown and touching his chest. His nails were circular and then faced forward. Some of the nails circled twice. The poor baby couldn't perch so he was hanging on the bars.

I said I wanted to take him and they said I had to call later in the day as the manager was out. I told them I wouldn't wait as this bird needed attention right now so he could eat and drink, etc. They finally let me take him and I went directly to my mom's. I couldn't take him home because of my birds and she doesn't have any.

I clipped his beak, nails and flight feathers. He went right into the seed dish and chowed down. He's a little thin and his poops showed he was dehydrated. His feet are dry but no signs of mites, etc.

I took him to the bird store on Sat. and had them pretty up the grooming I'd done and check him out. They said his poops were looking better but they noticed his nares were blocked. They picked his nose for him so he can breathe easy now. He wasn't drinking much water so I syringe fed him some apple juice and water. As of this morning, he's now drinking enough water out of his dish that we don't need to be concerned and his poops are near normal.

I set him up in a cage with toys and he just sits like a statue. I'm sure he's getting used to the new surroundings. The dogs and cats are sitting on the floor, staring up at the cage while trying to figure out what he is.

Originally, I'd asked my mom to quarantine him at her house while I look for a home for him. She emailed this morning and said to hold off on finding him a home as she's considering keeping him. I hope she does as I'm already attached to him and would love to visit him there.

I need to go back and buy cat food as I totally forget it when I saw him! ;)

• Haha 1