NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vapor effecting grey?

snochic

My mother in law stopped smoking - which we are all very excited about and support her fully. She never smoked in her house. Now she is doing the e-cig thing and I think it might be creating a problem for her bird. It seems to have started all the same time, the bird is pulling feathers out. I've mentioned it to her and she doesn't seem to think that is the problem. Has anyone had experience with this? I am no bird expert, I am just concerned about the birds health.

The vaper that comes from E-cigs is totally harmless to your bird. It's the same thing that's in all inhalers that people use for heavy breathing problems. The nicotine that's put into an E-cig is glycerin which is in many food products. The 2000 or so carcingens that tobacco has is what will cause your bird breathing problems. The nicotine has no caringens.

By the way, all the people at ECIG Forums would like to congratulate your mom for doing the right thing. It'll make quitting much easier. I hope her kit wasn't too expensive. Stay away from malls that sell the item for crazy prices. I've been using them for about 2 years--use to be 2 pk a day---40 yrs.

Your mom will be happy that she can get different miligrams of E- Juice.

Again, tell her she did the right thing.

Correction------

E-CIGFORUMS.Com

Edited by Dave007

dave, i'm in the process of trying to find a quality ecig product, any recommendations? i'm glad to hear it's not harmful around the birds! thanks in advance!

I'll answer you through PM. This isn't the place to talk about it but I can aim you to good company, great products and great prices and lots of valuable information.

Edited by Dave007

thanks for the input. I guess my concern is the oder that comes from her e-cigs - she uses all kinds of flavors and sometimes it bothers me as far as throat irritation and headache... you don't think that this is effecting the bird do you?

Feather issues are because of emotional issues as often as physical issues. It's good that you've been trying to find a correlation to the problem. It's more likely that your Mother-In-Law is somewhat crankier now that she's stopping smoking and your grey is reacting to that rather than anything from the eCig :). The feather issue could be from a number of problems from nothing to hormonal, to something more serious.

If it looks like it's a mounting issue for your bird, a vet visit is appropriate. Also, search the forum for feather issues and remedies such as aloe juice and colloidal oatmeal sprays.

Congrats to your Mother-In-Law! I've been smoke-free for many years and know it's a hard journey.