NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ruby the X-rated parrot!

staggy

It is not funny when a bird is left homeless due to a death or loss of the owner who taught and tolerated the swearing . I find it totally disgusting that anyone would be cruel enough to teach their birds to swear, and then actually video tape it. I wonder what the R.S.P.C.A. in England would think of that video. I would not open that link as cruelty of any kind sickens me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of 3 parrots that are in a bird rescue shelter because no one wants them. One was found left at the dump by someone, who took it to the Humane Society. It was placed in a home but was soon returned as it constantly swore.The other was put in a pot of boiling water to "teach it not to swear" and rescued by a neighbour and taken to a bird rescue. The other was simply left behind when the people moved and was discovered by the new owners. It's problem? Bad language.This is cruelty teaching birds to cuss, not amusing, and you can bet the RSPCA would be very receptive to this animal abuse.

These are horrible stories! :ohmy: Very sad indeed, it breaks my heart that people who acquire a grey for whatever reason don't love it unconditionally. We don't give our children away because they swear, and they will whether or not we teach them.

I hate people that get a bird that lives as long as they do, without making that important commitment to keeping it for life regardless of their behavior!

Monique wrote:

I didn't watch the video but I agree with most everyone else.

Monique.. Don't you think that it would be important to actually WATCH the video before you made any comments. You are an ADMIN here aren't you? I would think that because of that you should be concerned about what is posted here.. If you didn't watch the video how can you make statements about weather or not the post should stay?

Again, I am a newcomer to this post. But, I would like to make a point about "bad language". What exactly is "bad language"? If "off color" or potentially offensive language does what it intends to do then how is it "bad". The original post included a video of an african grey (which is certainly on topic) and says it is X-Rated. If this is a Christian african grey forum I would understand why people might get upset (and if it were I would never have joined), but this is not. Since this a "family forum" then we can debate what is and what isn't appropriate in a family. I do not have a problem with anyone using what others consider offensive language. My 7 year old son sometimes uses swear words, and I never correct him. I just make sure he uses other adjectives so he is educated about when, where, and how to use them more effectively. Again, this is a debate about taste. I have read other posts that I found offensive, like anytime anyone clips wings, but I would never ask for those posts to get removed simply because I disagreed with them.

This is turning into a pretty good debate, with very good points on each side of the fence.

I had never considered a Parrot that cursed, might be limited in being re-homed. It is completely understandable though, as it would be offensive to some households and their guests at times.

DavidDogma - You must correct your 7 year old Son if you are advising him of correct adjectives to use in the proper audience or circumstance. School, for example, would expel him, if he could not get it under control. So I assume you mean, you don't "punish" him for it.

I commend you for this. It is vitally important, as it would affect him negatively the rest of his life, if he did not understand this.

Eating Beef is also something highly disgusting to some cultures, yet we work with them everyday and get along. They just have us buy a veggie pizza when ordering lunch for all at work. :-)

Isn't it great, so far, that no one has started flaming anyone? I think that says a lot regarding the members we have here!! :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/09/06 13:11

I don't think it is cruel to teach a bird to swear. But I wonder if he realizes when he passes or has to re home it well make it hard to find a good quality home.

At this point I would be thrilled if Que said anything to me. But I would be saddened if it was cussing. (she is a closet talker)

However (I have not watched them I don't do youtube) It sounds from you you all have said that this bird is well taken care of and that is so nice to hear.

As far as it even being posted well it is cleared stated that is is x-rated. But we all know that when we as children and even as adults are told "stay out" or "no" most of us tend to do it anyway. So maybe it shouldn't be here?

I really don't know and after days of thinking about it since I'm not a mother I really don't know.

But as far as debating goes as long as it don't turn to flaming I think that is just fine.

Dan, are you trying to "correct" me ;) I "correctly" picked the "correct" word. I understand it is not the word you would have chosen, and his school is home with me.

cor·rect [kuh-rekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–verb (used with object)

1. to set or make true, accurate, or right; remove the errors or faults from: The native guide corrected our pronunciation. The new glasses corrected his eyesight.

2. to point out or mark the errors in: The teacher corrected the examination papers.

3. to scold, rebuke, or punish in order to improve: Should parents correct their children in public?

4. to counteract the operation or effect of (something hurtful or undesirable): The medication will correct stomach acidity.

5. Mathematics, Physics. to alter or adjust so as to bring into accordance with a standard or with a required condition.

–verb (used without object)

6. to make a correction or corrections.

7. (of stock prices) to reverse a trend, esp. temporarily, as after a sharp advance or decline in previous trading sessions.

–adjective

8. conforming to fact or truth; free from error; accurate: a correct answer.

9. in accordance with an acknowledged or accepted standard; proper: correct behavior.

Guest Monique

CD - I don't care to hear swearing in my house with my children present (which they always are) and I am not going to watch a video I don't want to. I don't think I need to watch the video to know whether or not I like cussing in birds.

If you had to watch it to make that determination for yourself well then BULLY FOR YOU.

I totally agree with people who think that the bad language will limit the homes available for the bird when the original owner pops off. I love greys, but i would really have to think about taking one that mindlessly repeats swear words. I have a hard time tolerating that from people I associate with, in appropriate context (not that I don't swear on occasion), but from a bird that doesn't know what is appropriate and what is not would be worse.

that sounds prissy, and I don't mean it that way, but loving an animal should mean being responsible in all ways, not just what seems fun in the short run.

Please send me all african greys no one wants because they mindlessly say "swear" words. I will personally find homes for everyone of them. I will personally make this my mission. So, please this premise to establish taste (disguised as an argument) can not be made as I, David Dogma propose to take all of these "unwanted" birds. Now that we have established that this practice of teaching Greys to swear is currently not irresponsible we can go back to establishing more poor premises resulting in more poor arguments :laugh:

How wonderful of you David. Now, if you will kindly post your address and phone number so we can do just that, we are all set. How fortunate you are to be so wealthy. Indeed the shipping and vet costs would be a burden for someone not as generous as yourself. I will notify the parrot sanctuary near me , here in Canada that you will pay for the transfer and care of the 3 birds she has there that she cannot home because they swear. You are a very kind man indeed.

There is a man with a parrot, and the parrot swears like a sailor. The parrot can swear for five minutes straight without repeating himself. Trouble is, the man who owns him is a quiet, polite, conservative type, and the bird's foul mouth is driving him crazy.

One day, it gets to be too much, so the man grabs the parrot by the throat, shakes him really hard, and yells, "Quit it!"

This just makes the bird mad and he swears more than ever. Then the man gets mad and says "OK for you," and locks the bird in the kitchen cabinet.

This really aggravates the bird and he claws and scratches. When the man finally lets him out, the bird cuts loose with a stream of vulgarities that would make a veteran sailor blush.

At this point, the man is so mad that he throws the bird into the freezer. For the first few seconds there is a terrible din. The bird kicks and claws and thrashes and uses more vulgar words, then suddenly, it gets very quiet.

At first the man just waits, but then he starts to think that the bird may be hurt or deeply chilled. After a couple of minutes of silence, he is so worried that he opens the freezer door.

The bird calmly climbs onto the man's outstretched arm and says, "Awfully sorry about the trouble I gave you. I'll do my best to improve my vocabulary from now on."

The man is astonished. He can't understand the transformation that has taken place.

Then the parrot says, "By the way, what did the chicken do?"