NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this a good cage for a grey?

Eshana

Looks good to me. Cage size is OK, Bars are OK, just make sure the paint quality is fine, that its not the quality that peels. A friend of mine has a cage just like this one for her grey & it seems very practical.

:)

With petco, watch the paint quality... everytime I go in there, I check out their cages and they have chips in them... Of course- they could also be because everyone picks at them but... better to be safe than sorry.

The size is okay, bigger is always better, of course. I've always bought as big as could be afforded (financially and space wise in your house)!

I have been told by several breeders, that grey's can become very insecure the first year if they have a large cage. After their first year, you can go as big as you like. I was told nothing any wider than 26in wide. This can also bring on behavior problems. I will post the link to the one I am getting for the first year. I already have one for it later on that is big enough for a large Macaw. I know that a lot of people will disagree with what I have just stated, but the people that I have gotten this info have spent their lives and careers dedicated to birds and other animals. I have heard it from more than 10 so I tend to believe its true.

http://www.petco.com/product/12866/Avian-Adventures-Protege-Bird-Cage-And-Stand.aspx?CoreCat=LN_BirdSupplies_CagesStands

We've had Sully in a large cage since we got him at three months, and he did well, however I would suggest lining the bottom of the cage in blankets for the first few weeks if your guy is going to be young. It helps cushion the clumsy falls :)

I agree with Shelly though... if you can get a smaller cage for him to live in for atleast the first few months, that's always better than putting him in a large cage. :)

GT, that is what I have planned, a sleep and travel cage. It will be small enough to fit in the car, carry outside for fresh air and sun light. So I don't think of it as a waste of money to use only for one year. Then if I decide to get another Grey later on, or even a smaller breed I have the cage. I will only know when the time comes.

That's a nice cage and a nice price. I've never been to a bird show and hadn't planned on attending. I've been told by many people that they just aren't safe if you have birds as you can bring home diseases to them. Several vets and the bird stores I go to say it's just not worth it. I've heard you can get great deals on everything there but I haven't been willing to risk it. I'll have to do more research.