NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Crop Changing???

mcuellar2413

Hello All,

Kenya is now approximately 8-9 weeks old(judging from pics on this site)and I am handfeeding her. I am a little worried that her crop doesn't seem to get as full and bulge as much anymore. Is this normal? She also doesn't seem to want to eat as much anymore but it seems like she is a little young to be weaning herself doesn't it. She eats the dry pellets but won't touch the soft ones. I have also given her peas, wheat pasta, oatmeal and organic baby food(applesauce, yams, and bananas) all of which she loved. She is on 3 feedings should I cut one of them? Do I need to make sure her crop looks all big and round like it used to? Someone please help.

As any bird gets a little older, it may not want as much as before. As the baby gets a little older, the crop doesn't get as swollen because not only is there less intake, the bird's size is also getting bigger. Besides giving formula, have fresh solid veggies around so she can pick at them.

*****She is on 3 feedings should I cut one of them?*****

Never do such a thing. Bad things will happen and we won't be able to help you because we won't have an idea about how serious the bad thing is. As birds are being hand fed, the bird will tell you when to decrease an amount or decrease a feeding. That happens when a bird absolutely refuses a feeding. That's the time to decrease 1 and increase more solid foods such as the above. That should be the method used until the bird refuses to take any formula at all. For some birds, it takes a long time to reach that point, for others it doesn't so let the bird tell. Don't make any time limits on feedings.