NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DIY Questions -

Vetrap - local coop had it - Check

Sisal twine, 1/4" rope and 3/8" rope - local ACE Hardware had it - Check

PVC Cutters - already had from my fish tank needs - Check

Active imagination - Check

Free Time - who needs sleep - Check

CAG - not for another ~3months - :(

In prep for our new arrival (hatching in a couple of weeks with pickup mid July) - I'd like to build some various PVC playstands for them. I've read about using very small amounts of glue, letting the fumes vent, PVC vs. CPVC, wrapping, etc.

Questions -

What is the right size PVC for the areas that the CAG will be perching on -

1) If wrapped with Vetrap or sisal twine?

2) If wrapped with 1/4" Sisal rope?

If I build a climbing net area out of the 3/8" sisal rope, how large should the "holes" be? I'm not talking a huge net - may 3' x 3' at the most. 3/8" sisal was the largest diameter I could find - okay to use on this size bird/net?

I've seen Zinc plating being a no-no with SS being the best. What about Nickel plating? Also, I think I saw a clip that was aluminum oxide coated - this okay?

This is gonna' be fun -

Brett

• 2 months later...

Can anyone reply to these questions? I expect that I will be doing a lot of DIY stands and toys.

Vetrap - local coop had it - Check

Sisal twine, 1/4" rope and 3/8" rope - local ACE Hardware had it - Check

PVC Cutters - already had from my fish tank needs - Check

Active imagination - Check

Free Time - who needs sleep - Check

CAG - not for another ~3months - :(

In prep for our new arrival (hatching in a couple of weeks with pickup mid July) - I'd like to build some various PVC playstands for them. I've read about using very small amounts of glue, letting the fumes vent, PVC vs. CPVC, wrapping, etc.

Questions -

1) If wrapped with Vetrap or sisal twine?

2) If wrapped with 1/4" Sisal rope?

If I build a climbing net area out of the 3/8" sisal rope, how large should the "holes" be? I'm not talking a huge net - may 3' x 3' at the most. 3/8" sisal was the largest diameter I could find - okay to use on this size bird/net?

I've seen Zinc plating being a no-no with SS being the best. What about Nickel plating? Also, I think I saw a clip that was aluminum oxide coated - this okay?

This is gonna' be fun -

Brett

Questions -

1) If wrapped with Vetrap or sisal twine? - I went w/ 3/4"

2) If wrapped with 1/4" Sisal rope? - I went with 1/2"

If I build a climbing net area out of the 3/8" sisal rope, how large should the "holes" be? I'm not talking a huge net - may 3' x 3' at the most. 3/8" sisal was the largest diameter I could find - okay to use on this size bird/net? - I ended up finding 1/2" sisal rope and utilize this. Pain in the XXX to tie but came out great. I made the holes probably 5" w x 7" h.

HTH,

Brett

I have a LOT of scrap sisal (1/4") that has been outside for over a year or two (used for my hop vines, but I replaced it all when I made a new arbor). It's a bit dark from exposure, but I think if I soaked it in a mild bleach mixture then rinsed it several times, it should be free of any germs or such.

What about aluminum carabiners?

Sisal twine, 1/4" rope and 3/8" rope - local ACE Hardware had it -UN Check

A number of people have been posting about DIY projects with sisal rope that they've gotten from the local hardware store. This rope may well be made with chemicals, oils & pesticides that aren't at all safe for a fid to be munching. I've actually used some that you could smell the mold & chemicals in. But even if you can't smell it, doesn't mean scary stuff isn't there.

There are bird safe sisal ropes that are offered thru bird supply & online sites, that would be a safer choice.

Doug - sorry, but your scrap rope was probably never bird safe to start with & can't be cleaned to where it would be advisable to use for you fid. The risks are just not worth the little extra money to buy safe, new sisal.

Edited by birdhouse

Sisal, jute, and hemp from the craft store in the jewelry department is generally chemical free, since it's meant to be worn on our skin. This is what I typically use. You'll pay more for it, but the peace of mind is worth it. And as birdhouse mentioned, there are also many places online to order it bird safe.

I find my grey does just fine on 1/4" to 1/2" pipe wrapped in just about anything, or even just given channels with a dremel.

The only PVC I glue is the hanging stuff. I like that I can slip it apart and modify it. I use a rubber mallet to knock together pieces that I REALLY want to stay together.

As far as the size of holes on a net....I sorta just make them whatever feels right.

I don't take the risk with any of the platings, though nickel is generally considered safe...I personally only use stainless steel. The cost is more significant, but you will have these forever, and be able to reuse them over and over and over. The galvanized ones don't last as long, anyway.

Instead of quick links however, I do, in many cases, use those lots-o-links things you can get at walmart or target, 24 for $5. They're cheap, safe, can be a toy themselves, and I love hanging several in strategic places so I can just slip the jump ring for various toys on and off and move things around very quickly and easily.

Carabiners are not safe, as they can spring closed into the hollow under the bottom mandible. Split rings are not safe, as they can amputate toes. Spring loaded quick links are not safe for similar reason to the carabiners. Open jump rings aren't safe, as part of a beak can slide in and then become trapped.

For attaching things to the cage, another safe option is a plastic zip tie zipped nice and tight.

Hope this helps. =0 )

Edited by Trinkapuppy
typo correction

A number of people have been posting about DIY projects with sisal rope that they've gotten from the local hardware store. This rope may well be made with chemicals, oils & pesticides that aren't at all safe for a fid to be munching. I've actually used some that you could smell the mold & chemicals in. But even if you can't smell it, doesn't mean scary stuff isn't there.

There are bird safe sisal ropes that are offered thru bird supply & online sites, that would be a safer choice.

Doug - sorry, but your scrap rope was probably never bird safe to start with & can't be cleaned to where it would be advisable to use for you fid. The risks are just not worth the little extra money to buy safe, new sisal.

Yeah... unfortunatly I picked up on this after wrapping 500' around PVC to build an Orb. Think I can dunk it in some bleach water, rinse and let dry really good?

Oh dear. That really sucks! =0 (

It is, of course, totally up to you...I know many who use hardware store sisal and swear to its safety. I'm overly cautious with things, and I tend to stay far, far away from that stuff and the stuff at the feed store. It just makes me too nervous. As a case in point, I have a bird playstand hanging outside for my clipped or harnessed birds, right next to a plat in a macrame net. The bird playstand has several of the overly smoothed branches wrapped in sisal that I purchased at a jewelry store that has had to be replaced twice in the past year. The potted plant, I made the macrame (yeah yeah, SOOO eighties, but I wanted to see if I could do it! xD) out of hardware store sisal rope, and even though I water that plant every single day, it looks as good as the day I bought it. Granted the stand gets foot wear, but not all that much--maybe ten to fifteen minutes three times a week. Mostly the birds like to hang off the small atom I have hanging at the bottom, or sit on my lap.

The lack of weather related decay makes me a nervous and relatively sure there are chemicals in there. But again, many use hardware store stuff w/out problems. My parents have a 12' x 3' net running the length of their bird room that they tied with stuff from Home Depot; it's been there for three years, and they swear everything is fine.

I'm sorry I don't have a more solid answer for you, though I can tell you absolutely what I, personally, what I would do. Which is curse a whole lot, and have a bottle of wine while I unwrapped and re-wrapped the whole dang thing. And yeah. This is actually something I've done. I wrapped an entire hula hoop and made a number of toys with some jute from Lowes before I heard about that. NOT a happy camper......and yeah, it sucked.