NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

feeding advice

Guest Lacey

Paddy my 6mth old cag is a very fussy eater not really in to veg or fruit although he always has fresh veg & fruit in his cage along with parrot mix in his other dish. Once a day I still hand feed him the weaning food which the breeder gave him, now for the question I read on one of the websites that an owner fed her African grey baby food so that he could get the nutrients he wasn't getting, anyway I tried paddy with this always one that contains veg and he really enjoys it I'm just a bit unsure if this is ok for him. any advice would be most appreciated thanks

It is high in nutriewnts & may make your pet fat. I personally would not feed a weaned bird on baby food unless it is sick and needs encouraging.Carry on providing fruit and veg daily, differ what you give and make it as attractive as possible. Do birdy kebabs, use froze vaguely mixed veg (fiercely defrosted), grate apple and carrot together and mix with cottage cheese or low fat yogurt, offer small bunches of grapes, sliced banana. Make it fun.I personally insure that when I am inquisitively weaning my birds, that I offer a huge variety of fruit and veg so that they go to their new homes with a healthy appetite and no pickiness.

• 2 months later...

I feed my CAG Zupreem Fruit Blend and Kaytee Forti Diet Seed Mix, I have tried to give him sliced Bananas or other fruit and he just throws it out of his cup and into the floor, occasionally he will take a bite of a sliced apple and eat it but not that often. I have tried to give him 'birdie bread' and he also just throws that out of his bowl into the floor as well. But as far as his Kaytee Forti Diet and Zupreem Fruit Blend, he loves that and his a happy eater, he also likes Peanuts in shell for a treat and sometimes I will break off a peice of Vanilla Wafer and give it to him as a treat and loves those, but as far as the vegies, yogurt, baby food, etc, he just throws it out... any suggestions on how to maybe get him to start eating vegies?

Thanks

Jackie

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am a new Grey owner and have been toying with his diet, he also is not a great veg and fruit eater. I tried him with a vegie mash and he loves it, steam up some broccoli,cauliflower,sweet potato and squash then stick it in a blender, he loves being fed it by hand. I use an ice cube tray to freeze up the left overs dividing it into versatile meal sized portions. This mash is also great for introducing any suppliments he wont take normally.<br><br>Post edited by: johnyboy305, at: 2007/09/27 20:11

Hi & Welcome, we have a welcome room why not come & introduce yourself :)

Blending veggies is a great way to get your grey to eat them, Eat in front of him as well, they tend to want what you are eating ;)

here is a link for you which shows the variety of foods us members feed our greys, well worth a read.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/24030-whats-your-greys-diet.html

Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/09/27 20:22<br><br>Post edited by: lovemyGreys, at: 2007/09/27 20:22