NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Please I need all the info and help with my beautiful pair of timneh greys

Jake

I recently acquired a pair of timneh greys through a family member whom i cant really get alot of info from this is why i need help. My Greys are both 12 and have lived together in the same cage for 7 years. They were both pets before this, and were to put together to see if they would produce. Since they have never had a box put on, does this mean they are not bonded? Right now they do not feed, preen each other, ect. Does that mean they wont start if we do put on a box? They dont fight over control of the cage or food, toys or anything. Smokey the male is very funny and i love to interact with him. Is this a problem? Could it become a problem? As they are right now could they ever be separated?

At what point would if be mandtory to separate if any? Is it possible that they are just a very happy pair of greys that live together and thats that? If they are bonded could me interacting with them be unhealthy?

Jake: Are you keeping them as animal companions or are you hoping they will be a breeding pair? Even with a box they may never breed. Love them for who they are--they may very well be bonded to each other at this point, especially if they have not had much direct human contact over the past seven years. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable about all this will reply after me but I just think you should give them what they need and want and forget about trying to make them something they're not, especially if they were someone's pets before.

My opinion, if you want them as pets, then interact with them as such. If they have been together for 7 years and they are 12 years old, they probably are just friends. If you have a separate cage, put it up and open the door and see if one prefers to be alone. Do they come out of the cage on their own? My understanding is breeding greys don't make good pets and pet greys do not normally breed. Hopefully Dave007 can give you some better advice. Good luck, I know you want to do right by your new companions.

Thank you and yes they both will come out of the cage on there own.. With that being said smokey the male will let me pick him up and also let me put him back in the cage. On the other hand Teddy the female doesnt want to be picked up or even let me come close to her, the way i got her back in was when she fell of the cage and flew to the ground out that point she walked to me and let me pick her up with the step up command, as nervous as i was she didnt bite or anything i simply led her to her perch and she stepped right off my hand. My reasoning for the help and questions are basicly that if they are breeders let them breed if not i wanna give them tons of attention and love them. I just dont know what they are at this point and i dont wanna hinder them in anyway

Well, judging by your questions, even if they wanted to breed, IMO, I don't think it is wise for someone without really vast knowledge of Greys to go into breeding "business".Also, others gave you good advices. If you wanna have pets, get separate cages, interact and play with them a lot, train them and you'll develop a beautiful friendship. And about your birds..- to me it does seem they are friends (since they lived for 7 years together). Keep us posted and pictures please:-)

Welcome, if I may, have they been DNA'ed? It is not uncommon especially with Greys to form bonded pairs and friendships with the same sex. Breeding, especially Greys', are unlike breeding of other animals and birds, such as, dogs, cats, and humans. Putting two Greys together does not automatically mean that mating will occur. Conditions must be right...speak with Dave007 about this. As far as your relationship with these two wonderful fids relies on how bonded they really are to each other. Only time will tell. They will let you know their limit and how far they will let you enter their own private world. They will tell you and give you signs of their acceptance. By all means, interact with them as much as you can. My personal opinion, when it comes to separate cages, is they are definitely bonded...a lot more than meets the eye. Placing in separate cages, even in the same room could and will cause a lot of possible anguish and psychological trauma. As Janet said, companions and breeders are treated and receive treatment in totally different ways. Breeding of Greys or any other parrots for that matter is not for the feint of heart. The time and devotion that is necessary is far more than most people realize...(Bless Dave007). If they are doing good, interact with them as much as they will allow and let the status quo remain...they have only been sexually active for a few years. It sounds that what you have is wonderful...

**They were both pets before this,**

Very important here. They were pets and they are and were very happy being pets and that type of relationship with people shouldn't be altered. Over the years, they've been happy with people. They've bonded with people. Successful pairs of breeders either don't bond with people from the beginning or they lose their bonding with people. Personalities of breeders and pet birds are very different.

Luckily for you, the birds live in one cage and are still happy with people. Many greys( pets---TAGs or CAGs) can't live in one cage together.

**Since they have never had a box put on, does this mean they are not bonded? **

Putting a nestbox in is simply trying to change their sexual feelings towards each other.

There's different types of bonding

1--friendship bonding with people

2--friendship bonding with each other and their human owners

3--sexual bonding with each other and that may exclude the owners

Then there's personality. A pet may enjoy the sexual freedom with another bird but on the other hand, they may get aggressive with each other when sexual actions are stimulated and they may get aggressive with the owners who put them into that situation. Your birds are very mature and have lived a happy settled life up to now. **Since they have never had a box put on, does this mean they are not bonded?**

Changing that balance isn't a good idea. Leave well enough alone. You can't predict the future but you have a present guaranteed relationship right now. No predicting is needed.

As far as breeding a pair of greys------They would need totally different living quarters, a totally different type of breeding area, much less contact with people.

Then there's equipment. You'd need to spend lots of money when taking on a breeding adventure. It's not simply a nestbox.

***Since they have never had a box put on, does this mean they are not bonded? Right now they do not feed, preen each other, ect. Does that mean they wont start if we do put on a box? ***

Look above at the list and I'm sure you'll see what's going on with your birds.

Be smart, be wise, do lots of thinking before you decide to change birds' personalities

Don't bite off more than you can chew and more importantly, don't break any existing bonds that already exist.

It's best not to try and alter these rules and all of these rules also apply to other medium to large sized species.

Greys aren't like lovebirds or budgies or parrotlets.

Edited by Dave007