NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

congo vs timneh

staggy

hello everyone! I am new to this forum and hope that someone here might be able to answer my question. about a month ago my wife and i purchased our first african grey! now this is not my first grey, but it is our first grey together. i havent had birds in quite a few years, and we kinda jumped on simon when we saw him. the place where we got him was selling him as a congo. after doing some research my wife is starting to think that simon is a timneh. simon is a dark grey colored bird with a bright red tail until the end of his tail on the top there is a dark color and underneath it is a darker color. can anyone here tell me for sure if simon is a congo or a timneh? Image244.jpg

Image244.jpg

How old is Simon? They younger congos have grey on the red tail feathers. They will get brighter red as he gets older. As bright red as his tail is I would say he is a congo. What color is his beak? Congos have black beaks, while the timneh has more of a bone colored beak.

Greetings Staggy,

Can you post a pic of the entire bird? That would help ID it. From the looks of the tail in the photo provided I would say you have a CAG, but cannot be sure w/o a full pic.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here, learn andn share with our other members. We are a family here that truly love our birds and work together to help ensure we provide the best care possible, for them and us. ;)