NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

I do not own an african grey as of now, but have been interested in them for the past couple of years. Finally, I have decided that I would like to get one in a few years after I am done with college and find a stable job. Until then, I shall be saving for the parrot itself, a cage, stands, vet bills, food, toys, etc. I would also like to learn as much as I can about them while I wait. I feel that it would be important to wait and take the time to learn about them to make sure they are the parrot for me rather than just go buy one and find out it isn't, so any words of advice and opinions are welcomed.

Anyways, I am new here so hello everyone.

So glad you've joined! Bless you for doing research & making preparations first. Sadly, too many people will rush out & get a Grey just for the novelty ... then realize they're not up to all that is involved. Feel free to ask any questions. The willingness of the members here to help is what drew me & keeps me. Plus, nobody thinks I'm totally nuts for always talking about our Greys. :)

Hello Sterls and welcome to our family, I am so glad to hear you want to own a grey and I commend you for doing the research to learn all you can before you finally open your home and your heart for one of these magnificent creatures.

You can start by reading thru the many threads as you will find lots of useful information from the best source, actual grey owners, nothing beats actual experience and you will come across many stories of their antics and accomplishments. Greys are known for being one of the best talkers but they have so much more to offer, even if they never uttered a word they will keep you amused and entertained.

I have to say you must have a good head on your shoulders for many young people who decide to get something want it now and do not like waiting for it but if everyone who considers getting a bird would take the time to do the research before plunging in head first then we wouldn't have so many birds in need of being rehomed or rescued.

I start college in the fall so I wouldn't want to buy a grey and then not being able to properly take of it or afford it, so I feel it would be best that I wait until I have quite a bit of money saved up for it. If I am still interested in buying one in about 1-2 years I may do so, but until then I shall be a sponge and soak up knowledge about them :) I also plan on moving after college so it's another reason of why I might as well wait.

I have a medical problem which would basically cripple me if I tried to have kids, but I don't want or like them anyways so I guess that worked out fine for me. I always said I was going to have a spoiled pet instead haha....I tend to make any pet into a big spoiled baby :P.

It honestly would not even bother me if I got a grey and he/she never spoke a word. I would just enjoy having the parrot itself.

Edited by Sterls

I start college in the fall so I wouldn't want to buy a grey and then not being able to properly take of it or afford it, so I feel it would be best that I wait until I have quite a bit of money saved up for it. If I am still interested in buying one in about 1-2 years I may do so, but until then I shall be a sponge and soak up knowledge about them :) I also plan on moving after college so it's another reason of why I might as well wait.

I have a medical problem which would basically cripple me if I tried to have kids, but I don't want or like them anyways so I guess that worked out fine for me. I always said I was going to have a spoiled pet instead haha....I tend to make any pet into a big spoiled baby :P.

It honestly would not even bother me if I got a grey and he/she never spoke a word. I would just enjoy having the parrot itself.

Oh my gosh you should go read my intro thread! I'm also a college student with a medical problem that prevents me from having kids!

I originally said I was waiting a year, but I am now looking at the end of the year for my grey.

Other than taking the time to learn, the other reason for waiting is because I couldn't have him where I currently live since my dad would not allow (not a fan of indoor animals) it and I'm living here while in college. Would love to get him/her sooner but forced to wait :( Not sure if I could hide a parrot haha. Plus I want to be sure I have enough money for everything, so I'll be making a parrot fund lol. Working at Cedar Point this summer...you work like 50-80 hours at week so I'll at least be making around 2-3 grand.