NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Imitating behaviour - I just figured it out!

Azzie

Whenever I use the vacuum cleaner, this is met by loud barking from Cleo, and her climbing down to floor level and rubbing her beak on the cage bars. I always wondered what this was about, and I think I figured it out today.

The dog always barks at the vacuum, so I'd say that's where Cleo gets it from. When that thing comes out, it means it is time to bark! As for the beak rubbing, I think she is copying my back and forth movements with the vacuum when I am near her cage.

It's strange that she freaks out if I accidentally put a perch or toy back in the wrong position, but she is totally not afraid of a noisy moving vacuum cleaner. Still, I am not complaining that she's not scared of that, as it makes housekeeping a lot easier if I can just leave her in her cage or out and about.

You are so lucky. One of my Macaws don't mind it, but the other one will scream and scream I have to cover him up when its time to vacuum the bird room's rug. I got to where it was easier to pull the rug up and take it outside and shake it really good and just sweep and mop. I have been so tempted to not even put the rug back down.