NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Strange behaviour.

Gizmos

Gizmo has started doing something strange. He always climbs down from his cage and is more interested in exploring the floor than playing on his playtop. He is obsessed with trying to get under one of my sofas. I even moved it across to the other side of the sitting room but he still goes to it. When I sit on the floor he comes right up to me, checks me with his beak and then starts doing digging. He holds onto the rug with his beak and digs with one of his legs. I tried moving back a few inches, he then moves closer to me. If I move anywhere, even the other side of the room, then he stops and comes over to where I am and starts again. His head is usually touching my leg or clothes when he is doing this. Last night I just stayed in one spot and after 15 mins of doing this he finished and started playing with my fingers then regurgitated. When I finally managed to get him back in his cage he grabbed my fingers and regurgitated on them again. I know regurgitation is meant to be a sign of affection but I was wondering if it was connected to the digging?

I know the digging is a normal behaviour, he used to do it in his cage sometimes. I'm going to provide some floor activities for him to try and distract him but does anyone know why he might be behaving like this?

How old is Gizmo? I would suggest to only let him play with your fingers for a second, please don't encourage him to regurgitate. Regurgitation is more than a sign of just affection,It's also a sign of choosing a mate.

Jayd

I see from looking at previous threads that he is approximately 9 years old, it could be some kind of nesting behavior and you want to avoid that and also as Jayd stated you don't want to encourage any regurtitation. Don't touch him any further back than his neck for touching him beyond that will stimulate him and then he will get frustrated and then biting will occur.

Maybe try putting something, maybe blankets or towels under the couch for the time being so he can't get under there and keep distracting him away until the behavior passes.

I see from looking at previous threads that he is approximately 9 years old, it could be some kind of nesting behavior and you want to avoid that and also as Jayd stated you don't want to encourage any regurtitation. Don't touch him any further back than his neck for touching him beyond that will stimulate him and then he will get frustrated and then biting will occur.

Maybe try putting something, maybe blankets or towels under the couch for the time being so he can't get under there and keep distracting him away until the behavior passes.

This is good advice, Thanks Judy...

I just found out Gizmo is 7yrs not 9yrs. I don't let him regurgitate on me, as soon as he starts to do it I move away. He has started to do it everytime I go near his cage too, I always walk away. I read somewhere that birds can overbond(?) Is there such a thing and might this be the case?

Last night everywhere I moved to Gizmo ran to keep up and if I stayed still he would do the digging thing. At one point I sat down and when I was geting up he ran to the space on the floor underneath me and started doing the digging. Also as soon as I let him out last night as soon as he flew down he ran up to me and pushed his body against my leg, sort of like he was stroking me with his side, if that makes any sense?

I did block off under the sofa as there was a sharp bit that he might have hurt himself. I've also got toys down to try and distract him but he is not interested at all in anything but following me and doing the digging.

I seriously think he is a she though, from what I have read. I know without dna its difficult to tell.

I'm getting a bit stressed as I really want to train Gizmo to do step up and other important things but can't even get started while this is going on as all he wants to do is dig and regurgitate.

It doesn't matter whether he is 9 years or 7 years he is a mature bird and it is not necessarily a female thing as males participate in nesting behavior, after all it takes two to tango. It is going into spring now and the hormones are raging, I would think in a few months this will subside but it does make it difficult while it is going on. You are doing the right thing to walk away from him when he gets going, just tell him "thank you" and turn your back on him and try later. I know this is frustrating to you right now for you want to interact with him and all he can think of is mating. My grey is also somewhat hormonal too as she is getting close to 5 years old now but she doesn't do it to the extreme as Gizmo does, you got a hot blooded grey!

I just got a look at Gizmos leg band it says 01, is that the year he was born? Maybe my brother was wrong about Gizmos age. Not that it matters, as you said he's at this stage of his development regardless : )

Yes, he is very hot blooded at the moment, thats the impression I was getting! I noticed that even his regurgitation has a lot more intention in it. I suppose I'll just have to wait to start training until he calms down : )

Unfortunately its affecting the amount of time he's getting out the cage, its usually 3-4 hours but there is only so long I can manage to have him constantly at me. We are geting about 2hrs out at the moment, I know thats not enough but with 2 cats and an autistic son its all I can manage when he's being so clingy. I hope it passes soon as I feel cruel not giving him the time he needs.

On a positive note he isn't doing the wing drooping and whining as much. Since moving to his new cage he has only done it 3 times in 2 weeks! :)