NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Toilet training

Nicole

Hi,

we have read many books about parrots but one thing we did not manage - toilet training.

Vikki prefers to make her duties on my husband's

T-shirt.

Any advice on toilet training welcome.

Many thanks.

Regards

Nicole

If you learn how to recognize the signals that they are about to take a dump, you need to take them to where you would prefer they do it and say a word that they can associate with the job and tell them to do it. I trained my grey to use a trash can and I hardly ever have her dump on me, now my sun conure is another thing.

I believe we have a thread here that deals with this very subject, you should check it out.<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/09/02 02:54

Pryde is doing pretty well with her toilet training, although she doesn't yet hold it, so I need to be diligent in getting her back to her cage.

What I do is wait for her to poop, when she does I say Poop! and then take her to hang with me on the couch. I then pay special attention to the clock. After about 10 15 minutes of cuddling and watching youtube or tv I put her back on her playtop and say Poop! If she does she gets lots of praise and gets to come and sit with me again. If she doesn't she has to stay up there and entertain herself.

I hope this helps!

• 6 months later...

Well my grey has taken to flying over to my partner dave, do her business and fly back to her cage haha, we had to get her out of this habit. I watch her carefully she lowers her rear end when she's about to go and i interupt her and take her to the toilet and say 'wanna poop' of course i dont expect her to fly herself anywhere, but perhaps she will vocalise when she wants to go one day to make it a lot easier.

Going though the Toilet training with Dusty we think he has just about got the idea but not 100% yet. Will just keep going with it anyway isnt it good luck to get "her duties" on your husband. I would get him to pick the Lotto Numbers :)

• 1 month later...