NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do You Notice Hormonal Behavior This Time of Year?

chezron

Brutus is turning three soon. He especially seems hormonally driven lately. He keeps trying to regurgitate and mate with our Quaker parrot (parakeet). Luckily, Jimmy is fast and will not allow it. Watching the two of them is like watching an experienced fencer (Jimmy) and a lumbering Viking with a club (Brutus). Jimmy gets a bunch of jabs in before Brutus even knows what hit him. Not only is he trying to mate with Jimmy, but his moods have become unpredictable. At one moment he seems loving, and the next, he flies at your face. Thankfully, I duck quickly. My new strategy is to pet him mainly at night when he is mellow, and to pet him during the day only where he does not have easy access to my face. ALL the books say do not try to dominate an African Grey, but is there some way to scold him? I am doing a stern, "NO!"

How do you handle your hormonal grey?

It would be a better thing to do if all threads and replies that don't have anything to do with welcomes and intros be placed in the various rooms that are available. More people will see those threads and replies and more responses will be given.

The
GREY LOUNGE
is a good place to start.

The New Post button is when you (or anyone else) has a new topic to talk about

Go to any section ( room), press new post button, type in your subject ( example--Hormonal changes), type your material in and post it. In your subject here, you can go to the grey lounge, the health room etc or other areas. That's where most people are most of the time. You can get more responses from the people who've been around for a while as well as new people.

Every room has a new post (new thread) button.

Edited by Dave007

How do you handle your hormonal grey?

Maybe this sounds extremely naive, but when I read your question I thought, "Greys get hormonal??" I guess when I think of 'hormonal' I think of cockatoos and Amazons, because that's generally when I hear the term associated with parrots... As far as I know, our Marcus hasn't shown any specific signs of being more 'hormonal' than normal yet, although if given the chance he will try and regurgitate for me. But he hasn't become overly moody or aggressive or anything. I would think, though, that it would be a good thing even just to try and explain calmly to Brutus while he's more 'mellow' at night that you don't like it when he acts "bitey" or "nippy" or whatever word you want to use for it... that it makes you feel bad... something like that. Maybe even do it after an episode so he'll make a mental connection between his actions and how you feel. Sometimes I'll just sit and try to explain things to Marcus how I feel about how he acts sometimes, even if I think he doesn't know anything about what I'm talking about, because he's very sensitive to my emotions. Maybe your Brutus will understand that it makes you upset and will try in his own way to be a little more, um, judicious (?) about everything in the future...

Being hormonal can't be changed by talking. Mental connections can't be made concerning how a person feels ( sad or bad).

When a bird gets hormonal, it's nature kicking in and the bird will stay that way until it's over which is different for many birds. A male who's hormonal won't be as aggressive as a female. How do you deal with a hormonal bird who's showing acute signs of temporary hormonal changes? Leave the bird alone or else he and especially she will get aggressive and may bite because of too much interfering with nature's natural process. And these hormonal changes don't kick in until the bird is 3 yrs and older.

Parrots are wild animals and they do things according to what nature tells them to do. The grey in your house is a wild animal and will always be a wild animal.

Being hormonal can't be changed by talking. Mental connections can't be made concerning how a person feels ( sad or bad).

When a bird gets hormonal, it's nature kicking in and the bird will stay that way until it's over which is different for many birds. A male who's hormonal won't be as aggressive as a female. How do you deal with a hormonal bird who's showing acute signs of temporary hormonal changes? Leave the bird alone or else he and especially she will get aggressive and may bite because of too much interfering with nature's natural process. And these hormonal changes don't kick in until the bird is 3 yrs and older.

Parrots are wild animals and they do things according to what nature tells them to do. The grey in your house is a wild animal and will always be a wild animal.

Regardless, it probably wouldn't hurt for him to let Brutus know how he feels. If Brutus is at all bonded to him, he'll be sensitive to how he feels about things. It may not allay the hormonal reactions as desired, but it could reinforce their relationship and make this spell easier for them both. And the lack of physical contact (talking) wouldn't overtly stimulate anything else like petting his back might. Wolves are wild animals too and I know a number of people who keep them successfully in their households, I'm sure they have their own issues that need to be dealt with and respected, but they've found ways to do it. Chezron and Brutus will too.

Thanks for the advice. Today, Brutus is as sweet as ever. I do not think it will hurt to talk to him because I know he loves me. He certainly understands much of what we say. I know this because he recombines words into appropriate sentences.

Plus, knowing now, that these hormonal surges happen over the age of three this ornery behavior seems to make more sense. Thanks.

I know how hormones affect teenage boys and turn them into little monsters at times. I guess it isn't too different to have a male African Grey do the same. I also take his behavior as a compliment because it suggests his robust health.

Dave,

Does your (or more) African Grey act out hormonally? When Brutus flew at my face I just ducked and walked away- showing no emotion. And I did leave him alone the rest of the afternoon. Is this the correct way to handle it? I have read about a stern, "NO!" and a evil eye stare as possible reactions to unwanted behavior. What do you think?