NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ring? sexing? m/f?

Guest jaquiscorpio

Guest jaquiscorpio

hi i waould like peoples oppinions on the pictures bellow as i believe this is a sexing ring and was apparently put on by Andrew Greenwood of IZVG whom i emailed and never got a reply from :( wanted a bit of background info on my parrot.

The stamp on the ring is wierd too reads 1|02119 LO(sideways) (i think)

opinions etc much appreciated

Image028-1.jpg

Image026.jpg

Image031-1.jpg

i'm not in the u.k., but here in the u.s. those are put on the birds by the breeder. it doesn't necessarily indicate the sex of the bird, just an identification of where the bird was bred and by whom. both my birds have them and i've had to do dna testing to confirm the sex on both. i've been told the rings are also to "prove" the bird is captive bred, not wild captured. not sure if that part is true or not, but that's what i've heard over the years. hope this helps.

Since your bird comes from the UK, that country is the only place that the code can be read. If the ring has a slit on it (From top to bottom), that's called an open band which is clamped together after putting it on the leg and can be put on a bird at any age. If the band has no slit, that means that the bird had the band placed on the leg before he was approx 2 weeks old. That's the only time the toes can be bent backwards in order for the ring to be slipped on. Once it's on, it can't be taken off except by a vet.

Edited by Dave007

For the most part a closed band is put on by the breader and has the hatch day and year bird# or what ever the breader wants to ID the bird.

A close band is a domestic bird and a split band is a import. You can not import pet birds into the US as of 1993. I beleave thats the year.