NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When does boredom begin?

munch

Hello!

Its been said that greys need stimulation or they get bored and that's when the trouble begins. Took is now 8 or 9 months old, she is more confident and more independent, still cuddley-- but not bored. Or at least she doesn;t seem to be. I haven't given her any new toys or changed things around; she seems happy.

So, when does the boredom set in? What are some signs? ((i'm only aware of feather picking) Is she bored already and I just can';t tell? Should I be giving her new toys or stimulating activties already?

Thanks!

Ana Grey plays very little with her toys she is too busy flying around and pestering the other fids!!! She loves to interact with me and ask for apples and nuts. At least twice a day she runs through her words and practices them. So at 2 1/2 years she hasn't hit the boredom mode and I'm not worried about it!!!! Enjoy the fact that your grey can entertain herself and enjoys life to the fullest!!!

It could be that the toys presently in the cage are not ones interesting to your grey. They will sit a lot and preen or perhaps snooze when in the cage, but at times will chew on a a favorite wood toy or bash around a bell. But, as I say, that only goes in bursts, then it's back to sitting. They are most active when out of the cage and getting into or on everything they can to check our or destroy. :)

Perhaps slowly introduce some new toys and see what interests the most over a few days. It could even up to a week before your grey decides it is not a demon. :P

Yes - a good toy rotation on a weekly basis is necessary to help prevent boredom. And a variety of materials (i.e. not just plastic or wood) but incorporate different textures, and definitely start him with some foraging toys to help stimulate his mind, and lots of preening type toys to encourage positive (aka not over indulging himself) preening.

Merlin loves foraging boxes, wreaths with fleece bits, birdie bagels, straws, cholla and yucca woods, seagrass cord - and more. There's a whole world of different textures for your little one to enjoy :)

And if you can bring him to different places/car rides - you haven't ridden a car properly until you've enjoyed it with a grey making sound effects :) Merlin has a small dog cage (his temp/vacation/car cage) he rides in, and loves it.

You should be rotating toys out every couple of weeks so she has new ones to enjoy and destroy remembering to allow her enough time to get used to it and foraging opportunities are wonderful too.

I have to comment on taking your grey on outings in the car, my grey enjoys car rides and plays, chats and rings her bell when we go on road trips, she enjoys the ride with the scenery, entertains us with her chatter and bell ringing and it helps to associate getting into a travel carrier with enjoyable experiences instead of just something to have to put them into to go to the vet.