NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh on Deposit

Hello,

after about 2 years of reading, talking to breeders and petshops, watching parot videos and reading avain behavior books, i have decided to get a grey.. a timneh mainly because it seems like everyone had CAGs and i dont like to be like everyone else :) . right now the breeder has 3 and i get first pick of the cluth when they are ready. they are about 3 weeks now so its really early.. she doesnt sell unweaned babies and required that your come visit with your baby at least 3 times before you take it home. provides the usually health guarantee. this is the cage i decided on http://amzn.to/gVfYFV so im excited and looking forward to sharing the stories of me and my grey..

Edited by lmayes69

Hello Imayes69, welcome to the Grey family. I am owned by a TAG and find Ana Grey to be a sweetheart. I look forward to hearing more about your new baby and seeing some pictures when you get a chance. It's always wonderful to hear that a person has studied and read up on greys. One can never learn enough about our feathered companions. They are all different!!!!

Thanks Guys/ Gals i cant wait.. the breeder told me that shes excited to sell to someone that has done as much research as i have... 2 years is a long time. she said end of may early june my baby ( boy hopefully ) will be ready to come home

Hello Imayes69 and welcome to our family, glad to hear you did your research before plunging into grey ownership, everyone who wants one should be as thorough as you have been.

Also glad to hear that your breeder will not sell unweaned babies for we have heard of many who do not, so many are just interested in the money aspect of the business and not the bird's welfare.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them for firsthand experience and ask any questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

@judygram i just talked my co-worker out of buying a parrot.. He is a reptile person but when i started explaining to him the time required for birds he decieded to pass ( thank goodness ).

@Talon, As someone who own both TAG and CAG, would you agree or disagree that there is a difference in temperment? Do you find that your TAG is more friendly and stress less than the CAG?

@judygram i just talked my co-worker out of buying a parrot.. He is a reptile person but when i started explaining to him the time required for birds he decieded to pass ( thank goodness ).

@Talon, As someone who own both TAG and CAG, would you agree or disagree that there is a difference in temperment? Do you find that your TAG is more friendly and stress less than the CAG?

The question to Talon is something I've been wondering as well! I've read so many different articles on the subject. My boyfriend has his heart set on a CAG but I'm still undecided.

Thats just as well for people who own both parrots and reptiles have to be careful of cross contamination when handling reptiles then birds for they carry salmonella that could kill the parrots.

I will tell you from my experience the difference I see living with both a CAG & TAG. They are both females & about the same age. My TAG being exactly 2 months & 1 day older. :)

We adopted my TAG at 8 1/2 weeks old, (yes she was weaned)

My CAG was adopted by me when she was 2 1/2 years old, I am her 4th and forever home.

So, they are both now 5 1/2 years old.

My TAG is very sweet in nature. She has a very sweet & quieter voice.

My CAG can be a bit moody (sweet one day, and grouchy the next). She has a very loud voice, and cranky sounding....:)

My TAG has quiet whistles, prefers to talk than whistle.

My CAG Has LOUD whistles and LOVES to whistle, but does talk as well.

My TAG spoke words at 2 1/2 months.

Don't know at what age my CAG spoke her first words.....:(

They BOTH love to talk!!! Have very clear words & sentences.

My TAG is a bit adventurous and has a very curious nature.

My CAG is scared of everything and anything new!

My TAG will NEVER go into her cage if there is a new toy there, she will fly off!

My CAG will most of the time, but slowly & cautiously (as long as it's not too scary)

Both LOVE to eat everything we do.

My TAG will always drink out of a glass.

My CAG will never try it. Wants nothing to do with it.

My TAG has a sneaky, smart alack side to her. She like to be a joker and tease you.

My CAG is very loving. She LOVES to be petted and cuddled as she falls asleep next to you EVERY night. She will beak your hand if you stop!

My TAG lets you lightly pat her head no more than 4 times. Then she peeps and lightly bites your finger and run off. But will come back for 2-4 more light head rubs.

My TAG prefers juice over water to drink. (not that she gets more than a few sips once a day)

My CAG won't have anything to so with juice. WATER only for her.

My TAG flies so gracefully and fluently throughout my entire house.

BOTH BIRDS WERE CLIPPED WHEN I GOT THEM.

My TAG was clipped twice in her early life.

My CAG was clipped until she came to me.

*But I chose to let their wings grow out.

My CAG flies very well, but is much slower and more clumsy. Twists & turns aren't as easy for her as my TAG.

My TAG & CAG BOTH love car rides.

Both LOVE to be on your shoulder, eat off your plate, etc..

My TAG likes smaller toys. She is less destructive by far!

My CAG loves bigger wooden toys & cardbord boxes.

My TAG RARELY chews my woodwork.

My CAG has chewed EVERY door in my house....Grrrr!!!!!!!!!

I know alot of the differences are in a birds personality. But I do however know of others who have a TAG with the sweet nature that mine does.

Oh, and if case your wondering...BOTH birds BITE!!! I wouldn't trust either one of them. My TAG will do it to be funny, she will be sweet one minute, and bite you the next. NEVER breaking the skin, just trying to be a joker.

My CAG will bite with no warning if she feels threatened. It is up to US to watch for those signs, as she doesn't let on. We all know to keep our faces away from her. Although, she will lean over towards us and touch her beak to our lips and make a kissing sounds every night before bed. A few visitors plus myself have been bitten hard by her. She WILL bite hard enough to break the skin quite badly. I know when that happens, it is her defense mechanism. She isn't a mean bird, just a nervous worry wart. :)

BI find both birds are very loving and sweet.

You may ask: which bird do I love the most? Which bird would I pick if I could only have one? NEITHER! Both give us such happiness!

SORRY this is so long....:) Thanks for reading if you were interested.

Talon, Thank you for that wonderful factual post. This is exactly what i was looking for. My decision to go with the TAG was partially based on the fact that not many have them and the people that do have them state that they are really underrated. I like the underdog ( underparrot ). Also

Some things are just meant to be. I have been thinking very seriously about rehoming a TAG. It sort of feels like starting over. I absorbed everything I could about the CAGs when I was making plans to get one. I have to say, I love their faces, the smell of their feathers and their big feet... in comparison to our small poicephalus parrot. I have to admit, I have never seen a TAG in person, but I think the right one may be trying to find me. I am taking deep breaths and trying to make a decision.

TAG's do have a rich color. Their tail is a rich maroon color. I find as my TAG gets older, her color has darkened some, mostly her grey feathers. She doesn't seem to be as messy as my CAG when she is molting. They are lighter in weight, and MY TAG is spooked much less than my CAG.

I forgot to add to my above post:

My CAG LOVES to open draws and throw everything on the floor one by one.

My TAG has no desire for such behavior!

My CAG will throw any & every plate, dish, pan, platter, bowl, fork, knife, spoon, you name it.....ONTO the floor and watch it BREAk into a million pieces!!!!!!!! Or maybe she likes to watch us race to the kitchen to try and grab the item just as she is lifting it to the edge......:( Most times, she beats us..............and YES< it DOES get expensive replacing the dishes....:(

My TAG would never consider doing such a violent thing!!!! LOL! ( You should see our reaction to my CAG when in it happens!) LOL!!!

Edited by Talon

LOL Penny, my TAG, Ana Grey is very feisty and loves dropping anything on the floor. She opens twist top jars and tupperware lids to get at the nuts inside. Look out peanut butter if I leave it out!!!! Ana Grey knows the words, "Get out of there" very well and uses them all the time!!!! She knows when she is bad!!! Ana Grey weighs 298 grams. I am really looking forward to getting my CAG, Isabella. I believe I won't get a moment's rest with two mischief makers in the home. As for coloring, Ana Grey is a very dark grey and has a more red tail than maroon. Though not anything like a CAG!!!!

003-32.jpg

Luvparrots, You sweet timneh sounds like my cag! Lol

My TAG's favorite thing to do, is to rip the top of the butter tub cover off, after putting many holes in trying to do so, and eating the butter as fast as she can as she knows it's off limits! We can never leave it out, we have to hide it on our laps at dinner time....

LOL Penny, my TAG, Ana Grey is very feisty and loves dropping anything on the floor. She opens twist top jars and tupperware lids to get at the nuts inside. Look out peanut butter if I leave it out!!!! Ana Grey knows the words, "Get out of there" very well and uses them all the time!!!! She knows when she is bad!!! Ana Grey weighs 298 grams. I am really looking forward to getting my CAG, Isabella. I believe I won't get a moment's rest with two mischief makers in the home. As for coloring, Ana Grey is a very dark grey and has a more red tail than maroon. Though not anything like a CAG!!!!

003-32.jpg

Is that a TAG tail? I've yet to see a good picture of one, and if so, I don't think they're any less brilliant than that of a CAG.

I think Ana Grey is gorgious. I've yet to see a breeder/aviary in the NYC area that have Timneh's (if anyone knows of one, I'd love to research them). I think they have a certain look to them that just sports majesty...I'm not quite sure what it is.

I have a cag and a tag, my tag is Rudy my little girl and she is really easy going , Cody our cag is only 8 months old and so far he is pretty good except he wants to do what he wants to do lol he is fully flighted and when he doesn't want to come to you then it's chase Cody around the house time :(

Congratulations! You must be so excited :)

Your cage is similar in design to ours - Merlin sleeps at the top part during the night, and naps underneath the playstand part during the day. His does have a balcony that opens up at the top, and this is his preferred means of escaping some days ;)

Congratulations! You must be so excited :)

Your cage is similar in design to ours - Merlin sleeps at the top part during the night, and naps underneath the playstand part during the day. His does have a balcony that opens up at the top, and this is his preferred means of escaping some days ;)

I did see the more "dome " shaped one but dont want the added escape route lol