NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting new baby grey again!! Advice please :)

Georgiesmum

Hi all :) I know it's been a while since I have been on the forum so I'll look forwards to catching up with you all again :)

I have just bought another African grey who will be ready at the end of the month :) She's a female. Can't wait!!!

So a few questions...

1. What are the possibility's of George (1 and a half male) getting on with her?

2. If they bond really well will they lose interest in me ( or humans in general)?

I doubt they will get along so well that they bond with each other, its more likely they won't get along at all or maybe just tolerate each other, more than not its clutch mates that will be best friends.

They need separate cages and to be introduced slowly for you know grey's take slowly to any kind of change, the important thing is Georgie needs to remain No 1 bird since he was there first, first fed, first let out of the cage, first spoken to and so forth and so on. He will feel threatened if you do not acknowledge his presence first and will prevent problems from developing when you have more than one grey.

BTW, congrats on adding a second grey to your household and I can't wait to see some pictures of the new addition.

Usually pet greys will not breed even if they seem to get along beautifully, people who breed greys keep them separate and they do not have much human contact, they like their privacy and they have to have certain conditions to do that. So if you get a female and you already have a male they won't ever breed, hopefully they will get along together and there is the possibility the female will eventually lay an egg but it will be infertile.

Wow what adorable baby greys, makes me want to just grab them up and give them a soft squeeze, thanks for sharing the pic.

She is missing d small back to as the mother attacked her in the nest

Poor dear, that happens and sometimes its toes but it shouldn't affect her in the long run, just longer for the feathers to come in versus the other two in the clutch. That breeder camera came in very handy then to rescue her before mama had the chance to do serious damage.

I am impressed at your youthful ambition with a wee one and all. You are like a superwoman. Congrats to you filling your heart and home with such caring and love. The picture of the three babies is one of the cutest I have seen. Poor little girl, her own momma hurting her, glad they had a camera in there so it wasn't worse. She is one lucky little bird to have you for a mom. You have good instincts, you will do well introducing her to Georgie and Louie. Just use your good judgement and you will be fine, you are a pro already with taking care of your birds and family.