NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Considering getting a Grey...

Hello everyone! I did a lot of research on Grey forums, and it seems that this one was the best to come to for advice.

A bit about me: I have been an animal lover my whole life. My father is a dog trainer and has taught me to love all creatures big and small.

I am currently a college student, but I will be graduating in May 2012 (this is the time that I will be getting the AG)

I am a paid intern, and I have been putting money away specifically to buy an AG.

When I graduate and get a full time job, I will be moving into the apartment under my parents house, being that it's hard to rent with seven pet rats! I still have to pay full rent, but I get the luxury of having a landlord that isn't bothered by loud pets.

I currently have a baby Cockatiel. He's a four month old white faced pearl that I got from an aviary in NJ (It's called Fancy Feathers Aviary. We drove two hours from NYC to get there!). This is also the aviary that I would get the AG from, being that Shelby (the 'tiel) has been nothing but a pleasure, and even the vet said he was a well cared for smartie!

Now that I've bored all of you, I'm sure, here are my questions:

1) Shelby is the only bird I've ever had. I've literally had every other regular pet under the sun, but this is my first experience with birds. Do you guys think that with about a years worth of research I would be prepared for a bird such as a grey, even if my only hands on experience was with my 'tiel, and the birds at the pet shop I worked at part time in high school?

2) Is a year enough time to plan for a Grey? The money isn't the issue, but I like to be well educated on animals before I adopt them, and I am wondering if I can possibly learn all there is to know about grey care within a year?

3) I've read that Grey's sometimes get attached to one person. If my boyfriend were to eventually live with me (we've been together for over a year, and he's a bit older than me so it's something we've discussed) is it possible for the Grey to tolerate the other person caring for them if say, one of us was stuck late at work, or had to go on a work related trip? I'm not saying this would happen, but it is a possibility.

4) How would Shelby and the Grey get along? They'd obviously have different cages, and be out at different times, but I'd like to keep them in the same room and I don't want one stressing the other out.

5) The cage! This is something I've been stressing on, since I've read about a thousand different opinions on it! It would be great if you guys could provide me with links to 'for sale' examples of a roomy cage for one Grey. I've read and I have seen so many varying opinions that I'm about to make a bar graph and find the most widley accepted opinion!

I'm sorry if this post is too long! I guess that since this is something I've decided on, I'd really like to spend the next year here learning as much as possible so I'm fully prepared.

Thank you!

I can't answer all the questions so I'll just tackle number 2.

A year is plenty of time to learn as much as you can and get ready for your new addition. Will you learn all there is to know? Absolutely not. I think there is a whole lot of on-the-job training that goes on with these guys and some things you just have to learn by experience. It's just like getting ready for a new human baby. Your particular baby will present you with experiences that you couldn't have possibly anticipated. Enjoy the ride!

Hello Eshana and welcome to our family, so glad to hear you want to get yourself a grey.

You have come to the right place to find out all you can before you make the final plunge as you will find first hand experience here with like grey owners and many of us have more than one bird, even more than one grey.

You are wise to learn all you can because owning a grey is different from a cockatiel, make sure it is the right decision for you for this will be a forever committment for we do not like people who jump into getting a grey only to find out it is not the right bird for them, so many birds wind up in rehome and rescue situations because too many people jump right in then ask questions later.

My grey is bonded to me but she tolerates my hubby, more so now than she used to and he has had to take care of her for a week when I went on a trip so it works for us, he cannot handle her like I can but she will give him kisses when it suits her.

I doubt Shelby will get along with a grey, I have 3 birds, a grey, a sun conure and a cockatiel and they do not get along but co exist in the same room in separate cages, they are company for each other when we are gone but they have to be kept separate when they are out of their cage. Lots of times a grey will not get along with another grey but if they do then count yourself blessed.

I would check ebay for cages as some of the members here have purchased new cages for less than on some cage sites on the internet.

Please keep us informed and do your research so you will not be disappointed.

Thank you Judygram and Barbara2 for your replies!

One of the biggest factors of me wanting a Grey is their long lifespan. I can't have children due to a medical condition, so I figure a parrot that can live as long as a human would make the perfect, ah, maternal instinct fufiller (I know it's not a word).

I've looked on ebay and again I come across the same problem. Ideally what I'd like to do is when I find the perfect cage, to buy two of the same one. One for Shelby and one for the Grey. I know that'd probably be a TON of space for Shelby, but I'd like everything to match.

You could buy two cages but make one a size smaller so they would still match or get them in different colors so they know which one is theirs.

They do have a long lifespan so it would be like having a child that would forever remain a child and in your case I suspect a very spoiled one.

I do actually have another question (sorry about all the questions guys, really!)

The apartment is a basement apartment, so all the windows are near the ceiling. Is this okay for an AG? I expect to get lots of perches that hang from the ceiling, and one of those tall java trees, but I don't feel like there's much in the way of natural sunlight (the bedroom of the apartment has much more natural sunlight).

Please ask all the questions you want, we really do not mind.

They are not going to get any benefit from the sunlight coming thru the windows because the glass filters out the UV rays they benefit from. Since you live in a basement apartment you would be wise to invest in one of those UV full spectrum lights to hang over the cage that will give the grey the benefit of sunlight. You can check with online bird sites or google it to find what you need, one such site is www.drsfostersmith.com

So, I have a few more questions:

1. I know everything says that Grey's need to be in an area where they are the center of attention, and not in a bedroom. The person currently leasing the apartment will not be out until a few months after I graduate, and the Grey was going to be a graduation present to myself. Would it be okay if for 2-3 months the Grey is kept in my bedroom? I have the space for a large cage, and I spend all of my time in my bedroom. My television and computer are in it, and I even eat meals there, especially when I am studying for my classes! I think the only time I'm in any other part of my house is to talk with my parents or print a paper since I don't have a printer in my room.

2. I currently feed zupreem to my 'tiel, and he loves it. Is this, in the larger size, an okay diet for a Grey? It's available at every pet store I go to. If I have to order a food online I will (I order Harlan Teklad for my rats online) but I don't know if there's a 'better' food.

Well, as far as #1, you're right concerning*center of attention* but if you're in that bedroom as much as you say you are,then you're the constant*center of attention*. But if you go to school or work everyday, it wouldn't be a good idea for your bird to be cooped up all alone in that bedroom. Also, the idea of immediately using a large cage is good. BUT, I see that your parents are there too. Do they wanna be involved with the bird? If so, it would be a good idea for the bird to be amongst where they are too. It's always good when all the people in the house are constantly seen by the bird and visa versa. When the tenant leaves, it's your apt. but it may be a good idea if your parents had contact with the bird because you'll be going out and be gone for long periods of time. In general, the bird should be a *family bird*

As far as #2 , the larger size zupreem is good but the bird may not think so. So prepare yourself for possible experimentation. Remember all the other foods too such as veggies, fruit once in a great while, some human food once in a while.

Artificial sunlight bulbs can be purchased at different places--pet shops and online but they 're expensive.

The Bronx often puts SI on the right path.

Edited by Dave007

It's great that you planned well and do a good research before getting a grey.

But whatever posted in Internet or books cover only the surface.

You will slowly learn even more about your future grey and learn his individual character.

That's what most of us are still learning no matter how long we have been keeping parrot.

May be instead of getting a new baby, you can consider getting Rehomed bird.

May be they are in need for a permanent loving home.

But do make sure u get the tame one if u decided to adopt the rehome one..

Dave, are you taking a jab at Staten Island? I'll have you know that when our garbage dump was open, you could see it from space! :P

Also, I'm curious to learn from others on here that are single bird parents that have to work full time. How do they handle being out of the house 8-10 hours at a time?

One person, two persons, it all works the same as my husband and I work the same hours so we are gone during the day, I take care of their needs before I go to work and he comes home right before I do as his work place is closer but they remain in their cages until I get home, they are my birds, then when I get home they are out until their bedtime. I leave a radio on for background noise to help keep them company while we are gone.

That's basically how I am with Shelby. I take care of him in the morning, then when I get home from work/class he comes out until I go to sleep. On the weekend we spend a lot more time together. Also, I assume the 2-3 months I spend before I move into the apartment I'll be home a lot, looking for my first full time job. Apparently it's hard getting hired fresh out of College!

It's great that you planned well and do a good research before getting a grey.

But whatever posted in Internet or books cover only the surface.

You will slowly learn even more about your future grey and learn his individual character.

That's what most of us are still learning no matter how long we have been keeping parrot.

May be instead of getting a new baby, you can consider getting Rehomed bird.

May be they are in need for a permanent loving home.

But do make sure u get the tame one if u decided to adopt the rehome one..

Lino, my choice for getting both Shelby and the future grey as babies stems from my once inexperience with birds. My very first dog as a child was from a breeder, and she was an amazing, well behaved dog. So much so that we had her TGI certified. After that, once my father became a dog trainer and we were all more experienced with dogs, we started to adopt. My family currently has three dogs, all adopted. They each have problems, but the family is skilled enough to handle and understand these problems.

The same goes for my rats, actually. I adopted Aristotle, and his late brother Asimov from a breeder in NJ. Now every single rat I get is a rescue.

I feel that in the future, when I am out of apartments and live in a house (probably somewhere in Jersey or Brooklyn) then I will adopt any future birds, having had the experience from Shelby and the future Grey needed to handle a rescue case.

Hi SI

Considering that this will be your first medium sized parrot, it would really be better to get a young bird. There's lots of birds that are pre owned and most are adults and yes, they do need homes but they also have habits and certain attitudes which a novice may not be able to cope with. Some may be good habits, some maybe bad habits. Those habits and attitudes can't be changed no matter where the bird lives. A pre owned bird is for people who've been around parrots for a while and know that they may be dealing with a bird that comes with from other owners who've developed the bird's personality. It's easy to say *get a pre owned bird* but if that bird doesn't work out in a new home, it's off to the next home etc etc. It's much better to deal with young birds because you'll need to experience the newest and natural personality of the bird and the bird will need to experience the habits, surroundings, people and general hustle and bustle that'll go on. Greys are very complex birds and it'll be a learning experience for both of you.

Edited by Dave007

Great!!

I mean if there's chance, get an adult grey that is stable and well behaved and the owner can no longer care for him.

Eventhough rare, but it's not impossible. Or else baby will be great too

But 1thing about baby, some of them will start to get nippy and aggressive after weaning.

I know it's not always the case, but I have encounter 2 of it

One of them is amigo, my grey

The previous owner got it at 5 weeks old, soon after weaning, the bird become agressive and that's why the bird ended up in the cage for years until I bought her over.

Whatever it is, you have done a good research and I'm very sure you are ready for grey.

However, If you have problem, you will have this big grey owner family to turn to and I'm sure many will be able to offer helps.

Dave, are you taking a jab at Staten Island? I'll have you know that when our garbage dump was open, you could see it from space! :P

Also, I'm curious to learn from others on here that are single bird parents that have to work full time. How do they handle being out of the house 8-10 hours at a time?

Actually they an cope and will learn to adapt to our schedule.

You have cockatiel to keep each other company too.

You can teach the grey simply trick like waving.

So when u want to introduce to new people, you can get the person to feed the grey some treat and get the grey to perform the trick for the person.

This method work very well on amigo.

She is very reserve bird, but now she enjoy meeting new ppl as it would mean to her that she is getting free treat.

If it doesn't work, u may need to try out other method as what work for mine doesnt mean itvwill work for yours

Thank you Lino. I have already read through pages of posts on here! With me having to rent much sooner than expected I will be strapped financially, so I'll probably still be getting the grey anywhere between december of this year and may of next year.

I am also some how like u.

I need to rent an appartment, still study and considering to get a grey since few years ago.

Money is always a problem in getting one.

So while waiting for the right moment I read more and more and tried to handle more grey.

May b can try to handle some grey too while waiting.

So, a new question has popped up!

I may be getting a job on campus, along with my current job, so I'd have extra money on hand. On average how much does it cost you to take your grey to the vet? It costs me around 50 for Shelby, but I'm wondering if a larger bird will cost more.

For new members here-

It would be a better thing to do if all threads and replies that don't have anything to do with welcomes and intros be placed in the various rooms that are available. More people will see those threads and replies and more responses will be given.

The GREY LOUNGE is a good place to start.

Edited by Dave007