NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Raw Green Beans? - Please Answer!

MarcusCAG

On Sunday at the store I saw some organic raw green beans and I bought them, thinking that it would be good to expand the boys' diets a bit. I remembered reading that parrots liked green beans. Beaker adored them instantly and now chirps whenever I say "green bean". Marcus played with them at first and now eats them. But I thought to look them up specifically again today, because there was a niggly little thought in the back of my head--and I can't find them on the safe list in my bird books! So I Googled them and everyone says they feed them cooked. Have I been hurting my boys????? Please, someone in the know, post a reply, I feel like all my subsequent searches are turning up contradictory information and I'm starting to get very upset, I don't want to poison my boys!!!!

As far as I know, these are the only beans with issues

Beans: Broad, Castor, Glory, Fava, Horse, Mescal, Navy, Pregator, Scarlet Runner) - Large Beans: such as Anasazi, Black, Fava, Kidney, Lima, Navy, Pinto, and Soy - should never be fed raw. However, thoroughly cooked are safe and healthy.

http://www.avianweb.com/toxicfoods.html

Although some people disagree with some of these, too.

I've always fed green beans raw & put them into my frozen mixes. In fact, we just had some this morning. Phenix loves to wave them around before he eats them. That's his way of saying he thinks they're extra good stuff!! :D