NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Best System to Hang Toys from Ceiling

We are buying a new house and would like to set up various places on the ceiling to hang chain, toys, and/or atoms. We have a chandelier in our old house (with no electricity) that works great for entertainment. Brutus loves to fly at great speed and land on the chain. We have filled the cups where the light bulbs used to be with toys, and have hung toys from the chandelier arms. In our new house there are no chandeliers to repurpose, so I thought we could find a beam in the ceiling and screw in eye bolts at various places, so we can attach toys, chains, atoms, etc. What has worked for you?

I use toggle screws in my ceiling to hang things, if I don't like a chosen place, I can patch it and move on. Unfortunately, my zon, Louie, is very strong and loves to twist and pull until he makes everything come crashing down. Yes this guy can unscrew bolts as well. But then Ana Grey can unscrew jar caps little stinker!!!! Shutter to think what they could do if they where human children!!!! Oh my goodness!!!! LOL!!!!

A jam nut is a nut that you screw on the bolt or bolt hook first than a flat washer or fender washer. When you tighten the toggle bolt to the height you want then

you tighten the jam nut to lock it in place. I will draw a picture and post it Monday

Edited by Ray P

Its upside down but if I turn myself up on my head I can see it, LOL. They also make those ceiling protectors that rotate 360 degrees and keep your bird from going all the way to the ceiling where they can do damage, I included a link to one such item:

http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/store/products.php?and=1&keywords=ceiling+protectors&search.x=11&search.y=6

• 2 weeks later...

great idea but its only 4$ worth of parts from LOWES! lol

Its upside down but if I turn myself up on my head I can see it, LOL. They also make those ceiling protectors that rotate 360 degrees and keep your bird from going all the way to the ceiling where they can do damage, I included a link to one such item:

http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/store/products.php?and=1&keywords=ceiling+protectors&search.x=11&search.y=6

Great ideas everyone. Something else that worked for us is to put a shower curtain tension rod in the entrance of a small hallway. It is high enough above the door frame the bird can't reach the molding around the door. I was a able to find a stainless ring that slips over the rod to connect a boing and an "orbit" ring set filled with toys. There was a little screen seed catcher from the wild bird store that will connect to the orbit to catch wood chips and poo before it hits the floor for the dogs to "share". I will try to get a picture. The best part for me is that if we were going to move again, there are no holes to patch and paint. You might not have the right size hallway, but it might work in a doorway just as well, it just wouldn't be so high.

Everyone has different needs, this was just worked for me. It came from ideas on this forum to make toys. Someone had posted the general directions to make the orbit from lawn sprinkler tubing, plumbing junctions and jute. Some people use vet wrap.

play station 008.JPG