NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My African Greys foot problem

Matt M

I'm concerned about my Greys foot (talon)...she is about 20 years old and in overall good health. We noticed about 4 months ago that when she flew to a flat surface, her foot would be "clenched" and it would take several seconds for her to spread her toes out on the surface..

I took her to local avian vet and he did diagnostic (blood test, visual, etc.) and could find no problem. Blood test came back totally normal. We all thought it may be possibly a cage injury---caught foot in toy or cage somehow--- soft tissue injury maybe- Vet prescribed Metacam for pain for a few weeks--which we gave her. This might have helped lessen the clenching a little- but not completely.

She can walk fine and seems to be climbing around with no problem and does NOT favor the bad foot-

BUT--she still has difficulty opening her foot up when landing on flat surface?????

Im perplexed on this one???

Arthritis

Now is the time to replace the different straight dowel perches in your cage and possibly his play stand with different sized branches. They should be thin up to thick and in no particular order. That will cause the bird to open the feet if he moves from small to large branches. The branches should be in no particuar order. They should have knobs on them.

This is a picture of some types of branches that are on a play stand but they should be in his cage too.

IMG_0697.jpg

Edited by Dave007

It is important to have different size and diameter perches for your fids as they can get "frozen" into a particular shape if they have to use the same ones all the time, variety is the spice of life and that perch that Dave showed in his post provides a wide variety of poses, it helps to excercise the foot muscles.