NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

home temp question

Ellen

Another question I have is the temp in my home. We have a very large home that the temp fluctuates so much and I want to make sure this is ok. The room my bird is in has a lot of windows so when the sun is out it gets very warm in the day sometimes as hot as 80 degrees. At night it can drop to 68 even though my control is set at 70 degrees. Is this going to hurt her ? I am trying desparatly to get it more controled but it is a challange in this big home. and the heat if turned too high dries out her sinuses so I am running a warm vaporizer.

The temperature range you state is fine and the humidifer is a big help in keeping a grey healthy. I do presume your greys cage is not in the sun coming through the windows all day long. If so, you may want to reposition it to where he can get out of it to one side of his cage. Heating and cooling both dry the air, so a humdifier is pretty much a must in homes all year round.

I learned the hard way about the umidifier. I wish the vet had told us that. We were told to keep her very warm about 75 or higher when we brought her home from being ill that first couple of days so we pumped up the heat and days later she started sneezing nonstop. I immediatly look up on your site and others and figured out it was her dry sinuses. She was fine in every other aspect so the vet said to see if she could fight it off and she has. I now keep the humidifier going all day and night. Her cage is in the sun but I cover the top snd back with a sheet so it will not get to hot. The windows are treated too so as not to get too hot. I also have a heated perch but she doest seem to want to get on it.