NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

little n large

Hi all, my name is Dee. ive had my Bart for 16 yrs now, hes a big boy one of the biggest ive seen, but today ive met a women who has a half pint size parrot, i could not believe how small this grey is. The thing that stuck out to me was he/hers beak was the same size as Bart, it looked a bit weird. Although this one is so small, it does not look underfed, feathers are in good condition, but very dark grey to almost black wings, also it has flecks of red on the breast area, which ive seen on many others, its not ringed. I live on an island in greece. My bart is english bred hand reared, and i bought him here 8 years ago. This one has been handed down from the mother and she has no idea how old it is, or where it came from. Has anyone got any ideas on very dark grey wings, very small in size, but with large beak. Ill try and get a pic in the next few days to show u the comparison. Ive also got a lanner falcon, just for info to you all. x

Hi Dee, we would need to see some pictures of the grey you are talking about. I have a TAG which only weighs in at 298 grams. She is on the dark side and has a cream colored beak now at 2 1/2 years. The picture of Ana Grey in my Avatar is her at 4 months old. She did have a black beak at that age. So can't wait to see a picture of the grey in question. Bart also sounds like an interesting grey and pictures of Bart would be great also. I am looking forward to hearing more about Bart. Welcome to the Grey family!

Edited by luvparrots

Hello Dee and welcome to our family, so glad you could join us.

I too am interested in seeing some pictures of this grey you talk about, sort of sounds like a timneh but until we see for ourselves I guess it is just a small grey but there are small, medium and large boned greys, you must have a large one.

Is Bart the only bird you have?

We would love to see some pictures of Bart if you have some you would share with us.

That's definitely a Timneh. See the corn color on the upper beak in pic #1 and #5 ?? Only the timneh has that. A congo is black on upper and lower beak. The timneh is much smaller and weighs much less than a congo. It's also not as long as a congo. The timneh should also have some darker body feathers that a congo. Some timnehs may have a slighty red tail color but most have a marroon color. So, the bird that you have there isn't unusual at all.

You probably have a large boned Cag and that other bird is a small boned Tag which when you put them side by side it looks like a huge difference but that is definitely a Tag, thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

I will have to echo Morana's comment about the cage Laura is in as it definitely needs a good scrubbing.