NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Adopting a Congo

bran

Well... I am a firm believer in fate, and I think that sometimes things just happen for a clear reason. As my friends like to refer to me as "the patron saint of parrots" I happen to find an ad on craigslist for a Congo that was 9 years old, and was looking for a forever home. I immediatley scanned the ad, and sent the owner a harmless email, just in ask a few questions. The lovely owner contacted me, and we went back and forth, and eventually set up a time to meet. Well... let's just say that I wasn't planning on getting another grey just yet, but like I said, things happen for a reason.

The meeting went amazing, and the owners were serious about their boy going to a good home. Shasta (as the bird is called) DOES NOT like her new husband, and as a matter of fact, he had to talk to us from the hallway outside the bird room. We spent about an hour talking and getting to know the owners, and "shasta". We both decided to serperate ways, and think on it. It wasn't more than minutes after we left, we got the text they thought we would be a perfect fit! I am soooo excited, because "shasta" has such a cute personality, and is very different than my timneh Dexter. I am hoping that eventually Shasta will bring Dexter out of his shell a little bit, and not be so serious. lol.

Anywho, I have never integrated a new grey into the home where a bird already rules the roost. So I would like any pointers for those of you out there who have brought home a new addition to your flock.

Dexter will have to remain the No 1 bird, which means he is first in everything, first spoken to, first out of cage, first fed and so forth. Just because another bird is coming doesn't mean he will not continue to be the top bird and it will help him adjust to having a new fid in the household.

Sometimes things do happen for a reason and it may have been fate that made you look on craiglist and find Shasta in need of a new home but think this thru thoroughly to make sure it is what you really want for there is no turning back and maybe it will help bring Dexter out of his shell. They might get along just great but more than likely they will just tolerate each other so if they do hit it off then that is icing on the cake.

Please keep us informed of what you plan to do and know that we are here for advice any time you need it.

I've brought in a few and basically, many rules below may pertain to what you're doing

There's plenty of things that a pre owned bird has to get used to in his new home---household habits---new people----other pets----new environment----general hustle and bustle of the house etc etc. That usually takes months, not weeks. The bird has to first feel assured and comfortable in it's new house. Lots of talking to the bird, having the bird in the middle of everything that goes on in the house on a daily basis. The bird has to learn your habits, the husband's habits. Immediate intense physical handling is not a good idea right now. At this time, it's not a good idea to have lots of strangers constantly hanging around or wanting to touch your bird.

There's a couple of 'classification' names that apply to all pre owned adult parrots that're adopted. One is 'the bird has a past history' and the other is 'the bird has some baggage attached'. Most of the time, history and baggage can't be gotten rid of. It can be modified though as soon as your new bird realizes that many things are now different.

Talking is one of the things that can't be changed. If he wasn't a talker, he'll remain that way.

Some will say that professional behavior modification can done by some person with many letters after his/her name but a bird's likes and dislikes concerning people can only be modified by those owners. I don't believe it. That's a lot of BS. The so called 'professional people' don't live in your house. Most of the time, their methods are just blanket methods. Handling your bird is an individual thing because your bird has it's own personality unlike any other bird even though it might be the same species. The best thing to do right now is to say to yourself that "I shouldn't be disappointed if everything I hope will happen doesn't happen". Having that attitude allows you to see the many other great features of your new bird and will help you to enjoy and appreciate them. Besides the greys I have since they hatched I have some pre owned parrots and none of them are 'ideal'. They're simply great birds and I'm glad they're happy. Some of them were serious biters. My wife and I, working with them for quite a while, have succeeded in lessening the bites BUT they still sometimes bite. It doesn't completely go away. All parrots bite.

Fear biting can quickly become learned or habitual biting. By putting yourself in a situation where the bird will bite, he is being taught that biting will get him what he wants - to be free of your attention.

I would recommend that you position a chair at a comfortable distance from the cage (you can determine what the bird's comfort level is by his reaction to the position of the chair), sit quietly and read the newspaper or magazine aloud and incorporate the bird's name into the narrative. Have a quantity of very small treats handy. When/if the bird comes down the side of the cage (he is locked in his cage), offer the small treat. He may accept it; he may throw it on the floor. Don't rush that process though.

Offer the treat in such a way that he is unable to bite your fingers. I suggest holding a tiny bit of the treat between your thumb and first finger. Most of the treat will be sticking out and it should be easy to determine if the bird is going for your fingers or for the treat. If he takes the treat, all well and good. If he goes for your fingers, ostentatiously drop the treat into his bowl inside the cage from the outside of the cage and return to your seat.

The treat must be one that he wants. Many birds like pine nuts, pecans, almonds, crushed bits of Nutriberries, a piece of grape once in a while etc. Experiment to determine what treat the bird likes best and use this treat at no other time except when you are offering it, whether the bird is in his cage or on the playstand or cage, etc.

Good luck

Thanks to everyone who took the time to add your advice...

I heard that for the first few days I should put him in another room away from Dexter for a couple reasons.

1. first of all for health reasons (quarantine) he does have a clean bill of health from a local avian vet

2. To gradually introduce him to Dexter's world and into our flock...

Are these correct? If he has a clean vet bill, is it necessary to quarantine him?

Thanks again for all your help!

Congrads Bran on your quest for a rescue!! I had Ross (my qp) for 4 yrs before we brought home a CAG. Ross took it in strides. At first he didn't eat, just wanted to flock call at JAX. Jax was a baby so we had to quarantine. We waited til he got a clean bill from the vet before introducing them. So far so good. there cages are across the room from each other and they spend all day chatting away. As for your quarantine question....i too asked around to see if it was necessary, and i got NO. As long as the bird is HEALTHY and has been cleared. Those were the answers i got, so thats exactly what i did and im happy i did. Either the two will love each other, or like someone stated above, "tolerate" one another. Hope this helps