NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I adopted a 4 year old Grey today

ParrotLawyer

:::::::: rolls eyes ::::: Absurd. Absolutely absurd. And "toy" was the exact and proper word under the circumstances.

Now' date=' I think I shall excuse myself from this pathetically clique-ish board.[/quote']

I don't consider myself to be part of a clique because I disagreed with your assessment of the situation. I actually found it ironic that you were criticizing someone who adopted a bird when you yourself have rehomed a bird. I'm sure it would bother you if you were judged for doing something positive for your now much loved grey.

I've had people disagree with me on these boards as well. I expect that to happen in a diverse group even when the common ground is a love of a bird(s). If we were talking about children, there would be just as many (possibly more) disagreements. I hope you rethink your decision to leave because you have offered valuable insights as well. I just won't always agree with everything that you say. :)

I feel like this thread ended up derailed. Sorry. I didn't think it would be controversial. I appreciate the advice helping hunter adjust immensely. I also really liked reading through the objective wing clipping threads in the health lounge someone pointed out earlier in this thread. Thanks a ton.

So how is Hunter today ParrotLawyer? Is he more calm today and getting more use to you and your GF I am curious to know how well Hunter and your Amazon get along as my TAG was very aggressive toward my Zon at first and still wishes he would leave home!!!!! Sorry Ana Grey, not going to happen!!!! LOL!

Hunter is doing great today. A little contact calling but other than that he's a really mellow bird. His spot on imitation of a telephone means its time for me to get up.

The Amazon and Hunter are totally fine. I thought this would be the point of contention because the Amazon is so fiercely territorial about the apartment and my fiance. Hunter imitates the Amazon. Its kind of hilarious because he says "HELLO AMY!" in the amazon's voice (something the 'zon says non-stop). I let them get pretty close to each other but I don't let them sit on the same perch for fear of beak battles (I have a rolling perch for w/ food+water bowls and toys I can take to whatever room I'm in). Hunter is a little curious about Amy but otherwise doesn't really care one way or the other about him it seems. They both like hanging out while I read cases and briefs/ write my thesis.

The Amazon is pretty indifferent to Hunter. The Amazon sings, makes his usual demands for shoulder time, and goes about his bird business.

I'm wondering if I missed some posts somewhere, because >^..^<'s outburst completely confuses me. No one can know the original owner's reasons behind rehoming Hunter, but was it said anywhere that this change was even made in the middle of a binding lease? We don't know the term of the lease. The landlord could very well be introducing a new rule upon renewal. I have seen nothing here that even slightly indicates that this bird was taken by immoral means or intentions. On the contrary, it's refreshing to see someone so dedicated towards making this rehomed bird comfortable.

Looking forward to hearing more about Hunter :)

Hunter is doing great today. A little contact calling but other than that he's a really mellow bird. His spot on imitation of a telephone means its time for me to get up.

The Amazon and Hunter are totally fine. I thought this would be the point of contention because the Amazon is so fiercely territorial about the apartment and my fiance. Hunter imitates the Amazon. Its kind of hilarious because he says "HELLO AMY!" in the amazon's voice (something the 'zon says non-stop). I let them get pretty close to each other but I don't let them sit on the same perch for fear of beak battles (I have a rolling perch for w/ food+water bowls and toys I can take to whatever room I'm in). Hunter is a little curious about Amy but otherwise doesn't really care one way or the other about him it seems. They both like hanging out while I read cases and briefs/ write my thesis.

The Amazon is pretty indifferent to Hunter. The Amazon sings, makes his usual demands for shoulder time, and goes about his bird business.

Just remember that you are still in "the honeymoon" phase with Hunter. He might not be the mellow fellow that you're seeing today! :o)

Barbara has a point, rehomed greys usually are on their better behavior in the first few days or weeks but when he unpacks his bags then his true personality will emerge and then you will know what kind of grey you have but my guess is he is gonna turn out to be a real sweetheart.

I, for one, felt my throat catch with a sob when I read the description of the poor young man giving up his bird. I don't even want to think about how much it would hurt to have to give up my Moussa that way.

You are very right that it is admirable to give a bird a new forever home when it needs one. And it sounds like Hunter now finds himself in competent hands with all intention of giving him a good home. But it doesn't sound to me like this bird needed a new home, but rather help for his beleaguered owner. There are many birds out there in abusive or neglectful circumstances who really need new homes.

I have to share a personal story here involving people known to me. I trade with a lively bird shop here called Gallery of Pets. I have had only good experiences with this shop, and the staff have become friends. I was recently in the shop and found some staff and customers enjoying the antics of Baxter, a beautiful and engaging umbrella cockatoo. Baxter has been an occasional boarder there, and I was not surprised to see him. But then I learned the sad story explaining Baxter's presence. The two men who were Baxter's owners had, like many in these hard economic times, lost their home. They felt they were not able to keep Baxter in their new circumstances and had brought him into the store for rehoming. They had been in tears as they brought him in. The store will occasionally take in a bird that someone chooses to give up and then offer it for sale as a rehome. Baxter is a spectacular bird and would have easily sold and brought the store a nice profit. But the owner of the store had told the guys that there was no way in hell she was going to rehome that bird. She told them that one of two things was going to happen with Baxter: either he would remain in the shop as her bird and a resident of the store, where he is familiar with the surroundings and the staff, or the guys could come back anytime they felt they were able and reclaim Baxter. In the meantime, they visit Baxter regularly.

May I add a plea that, if it is deemed necessary to clip Hunter's wings, please allow him plenty of time to recover from the trauma of rehoming before adding yet another change to his life.

I'm going to ask the vet what is best to do with his wings. Hunter is still pretty skittish whenever my dog moves (but has no problem stepping up onto my dog - so weird).

Anyway, like I said before, I don't know what avenues this kid considered or the finer details of his situation but I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him. I do know Hunter was listed online for 2 weeks before I went to see him and if it I hadn't adopted him it would have been someone else.

I'm a huge proponent of rescuing and because a parrot hasn't suffered abuse shouldn't preclude them from rehoming to a capable family. Its on the original owner to exhaust whatever alternative remedies they see as viable - I can't pry into his life and make those decisions for him. I also respect his decision. Parrots are an enormous responsibility and for whatever reason, landlord or otherwise, he decided the best course of action was to list Hunter online for a new home.

I would encourage anyone who has experience with parrots, and wants to take a bird, to adopt. It is hard work but the the experience is really rewarding. If some stranger listed their bird on the internet for a new home you don't need to second guess all their decision making. They have google and they can find affordable boarding and fostering services. If the bird is a good fit for you, take them in and give them a stable, loving, and structured forever-home.

This board is a wonderful resource. Thanks everyone for the good start and the useful info. I apologize for bringing up a point of contention for the board. I honestly didn't realize adoption would end up a source of discord and I appreciate the help despite having incongruent view points. I think I'm going to bow out from posting though to lurk for awhile. Despite loving to argue in a legal setting I like to get along with online pals and I feel like I stepped on a few toes inadvertently. :/ Sorry guys.

Edited by ParrotLawyer

This board is a wonderful resource. Thanks everyone for the good start and the useful info. I apologize for bringing up a point of contention for the board. I honestly didn't realize adoption would end up a source of discord and I appreciate the help despite having incongruent view points. I think I'm going to bow out from posting though to lurk for awhile. Despite loving to argue in a legal setting I like to get along with online pals and I feel like I stepped on a few toes inadvertently.

Don't let one person's opinions keep you away from posting about or asking questions and it is not your fault that things were misunderstood, there is nothing wrong with taking in a grey in need of a new home, we here respect and admire anyone who takes in rescues and rehomes for they are not for everyone and it shows how big your heart is so stay and participate.

Now ParrotLawyer, don't be cruel and keep Hunter from his fans. I have grown to love hearing about Hunter's progress and will truly miss him if a dose of Hunter isn't injected. So as a member of this forum who has two (2) re-homed parrots, and who also believes in adopting and re-homing if at all possible, please keep us posted about Hunter and Amy also as they are part of the GreyForum family now and I for one love to hear about my family!!!!!!

I would encourage anyone who has experience with parrots, and wants to take a bird, to adopt. It is hard work but the the experience is really rewarding. If some stranger listed their bird on the internet for a new home you don't need to second guess all their decision making. They have google and they can find affordable boarding and fostering services. If the bird is a good fit for you, take them in and give them a stable, loving, and structured forever-home.

This board is a wonderful resource. Thanks everyone for the good start and the useful info. I apologize for bringing up a point of contention for the board. I honestly didn't realize adoption would end up a source of discord and I appreciate the help despite having incongruent view points. I think I'm going to bow out from posting though to lurk for awhile. Despite loving to argue in a legal setting I like to get along with online pals and I feel like I stepped on a few toes inadvertently. :/ Sorry guys.

I'm not quite sure what happened to spark the debate and the upset feelings in this thread, but I don't think it was the issue of adopting a parrot per se. There are a lot of parrot owners here who have such gems in their lives because they chose to adopt a bird (or two or three!) who needed loving new families. Our two boys are both adopted/rescued, for instance, and my husband and I have strong feelings that we would never buy from a breeder--there are just too many parrots in need of good forever homes out there for us in good conscience to overstep them in favor of a bird without 'baggage', who just might be a little younger and little cuter. We can work with baggage. :) Marcus and Beaker both are showing us how far a turn-around parrots can perform when given plenty of love, attention, and care. It can be a little extra work in such cases, but we wouldn't trade our boys for anything.

But please don't think you need to 'bow out' here because of all of this. Your picture of Hunter that you shared was lovely--I'd like to hear more how he is getting along with Amy in the future!

As I often say, "You're preaching to the choir!" regarding opening up your home & life to adopt/rehome. We have 7 of our 11 fids who joined our flock that way. May Hunter continue to enrich your lives & we would love to be privy to his progress.

welcome parrotlawyer and hunter! we just brought home our new rehomed 2 1/2 year old grey 3 weeks ago. her owner passed away and the family for a variety of reasons (fear from one, allergies from another) is the reason for the rehoming. ours does an awesome umbrella cockatoo! she had 2 in her previous home. she called and called in true loud cockatoo fashion the 1st week or so. now she does it only a few times a day. my husband keeps a set of ear plugs from his job handy when she's in cockatoo mode, lol! she even tries to imitate some of the moves from them, but even that is less as times goes on. this forum and the members have and continue to be wonderful! i highly commend them all!!! i've read and learned quite a lot. i've asked questions and have received great answers. i know i can come here with my questions and i'll have plenty of questions in the days and years to come, i'm sure, and feel confident with the answers i'll receive. did i read correctly that hunter was free and that it seemed unusual? our grey, cage, all her toys, all food to start her with cost us nothing (that was not even part of the consideration for us), even her 1st vet appointment was taken care of. we were and still are floored by that, but that is what the family wanted. they did this for all 3 of the birds that this woman owned at the time of her passing. in the process of all this, we've made new friends. i email the one daughter that handled all of this at least once a week to keep her updated on how things are going. she was relieved and devastated with all of this, so i can understand what hunter's previous owner must have been feeling. all i can say is trust yourself and hunter, you'll do just fine.

Ha ha :) Some days we live with "The Machine that goes Ping" and Star Wars. You get used to it.

He should settle down - don't respond to the screams - he needs to mourn in his own way, and paying attention when he does will just encourage the behaviour

For example, when Husband first met Merlin, he'd get to my place before I got off work (we were long distance dating), and Merlin taught him to come over by screaming...then Husband was taught by me to ignore him, just say a quick Hi when he came in, and be busy until Merlin stopped screaming - it worked after a few days for him, and we were back living in harmony instead of Merlin incessantly screaming for Husband to pay attention to him!