NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from SLC

austinvs

Hello, I just found out today that I will be adopting my friends African Grey!! I am super excited, I have always had a bird or two in my life (always parakeets), and it has been a life long dream to adopt a Grey! Very excited to have this forum as a resource for caring for her!

Currently I have a 1 year old Wauzer puppy and was wondering if anyone has advice/experience on how to deal with that relationship. Jett, the Wauzer, is very submissive, curious, and very passive.

Hello Austinvs and welcome to our family, so glad you are finally going to realize your life long dream of owning a grey or maybe it will be more like a grey owning you as you will soon find out.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

I would always supervise any time the grey spends out of the cage with the puppy around for it only takes a second for something to happen otherwise you should not have any problems as other members have birds and dogs and/or cats.

Be sure to indulge us with some pictures when you get this bird settled into her new home.

Hi austinvs, congrats on becoming a Grey parront. Just be watchful to see how the puppy and grey get along. Some animals get along fine; others not so well. It depends on the personalities and life experiences. So keep a close eye out on both pets. I am looking forward to hearing more about your grey. How old is he and what is his name??? Of course, pictures of always appreciated (hint, hint). Welcome to the Grey Family!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! So far, so good!! She came home this past tuesday, and actually took to me very fast. She will be 8 years old on April 13th and her name is Link (I know...zelda is the girl, but she was named before my friend's husband knew any better :) ). Even though she was well taken care of, she wasn't trained very well, and didn't really get enough stimulation (toys, variance in fruits and veggies, etc.) So I am trying to get her to learn how to play (seems like an odd concept!) and to regain some of her explorative nature! I am certain if I can get her to play and explore than i can "open her up"

The funny thing is; even though she is extremely shy and nervous around anything and everything, she has taken to me like no bird I have ever had! She seems to prefer to spend time on my shoulder, or beside me, than in or around her cage (the only thing that is remotely familiar to her). She will even leave her cage and come closer if I am in the kitchen prepping her food! So it seems to be the start of something great!!

Jett (the puppy) needed a little time to adjust, and was a little put off by the new creature, but has calmed down and pretty much ignores her. Sometimes he gets frustrated and whines because he can't play with her (never gonna happen bud!!).

My only concern is that she has dropped 4-5 grams since her first night. I know there is an adjustment period, and that may be to blame, but should I be worried? Her appetite seems to be good, and she seems to be eating well.

Finally, Here is Jett and Link

Screenshot2011-03-10at83659PM.pngScreenshot2011-03-10at83709PM.png