NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

unsure how to "stop" this behavior

thenabrd

ok, i've had our grey for a week and i know there is a life time to be together and learn. lona is 2 1/2 years old and has never learned to step up. she only knows to fly to your head and land, then maybe slide down to your shoulder for scratches and to play with your ear. that's all she's ever been "taught", to come to her person. i know this isn't a good thing for her to do, but i'm not sure how to stop it and get the step up thing going. i've done some very brief clicker training with her, she'll touch the stick and follow it around inside her cage a bit. do i continue to let her fly to our head? she does this whenever she's out of her cage. i know she needs to come out, but i'm at a loss as to the "how" of stopping the only way she's ever learned to get "on" someone, yet let her have time out of her cage. she's always ready to come out of her cage, even tries to sneak out the food door when i'm changing her bowls. i want to do this the right way and also do what's best for her, so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Hi and welcome! I would discourage flying to your head behavior. One of my greys was allowed to fly and land on your head also. Allowing that behavior will make them dominate you. You will have to teach the step up command. Try either using your hand or stick, putitat the stomach and apply light pressure while saying step up. Over time, your bird will get it, and lots of praise when they do get it right.

My grey stopped the head flying pretty quickly. Now she never tries it. Patience and lots of praise!

thanks! should i stop letting her out altogether and train step up through the door first or keep letting her out (i know she needs to come out) and try to get her back onto her cage as soon as she lands on my head. this is where i'm confused. sorry, i just want to do this the right way and not create a problem.

You'll have more success with the step up training if you take them away from the cage area and into another room. Removing them from their comfort zone will make them more reliant on you for direction. Keep the sessions somewhat short and reward any effort they make towards stepping up. Aside from stroking their chest feathers which work for most people, Duece stepped up better for me when I lightly touched the top of his foot. As he lifted it I quickly got one finger underneath and before long he was doing two. Praise and always end the session on a good note even if not much progress was made.

As far as the head flying goes, have you ever tried sticking your arm out as an alternative place to land? With some practice with the clicker training you might be able to fix that before long!

i've tried offering my arm when she's on her cage, but maybe i should put my arm over my head and if she wants to be "on" me badly enough, she'll have to land on it. good suggestion, thanks! i did try to take her into another room, walking very slowly while she was on my head, but she must have seen something she didn't like or know and flew off down the hall. she landed on the floor and so i offered my arm, which she jumped on then raced up to my shoulder. i then took her back to her cage so she could climb around the outside of to calm down as that's the place she's most familiar with. i'll keep at it though and hope for the best! thanks again!

Edited by thenabrd

Don't allow her to walk up your arm. Block her path with your other arm and keep repeating with consistency. It may take 40-50 attempts but she will take the hint. If you get her on your hand try lightly pinning her foot down with yuor thumb. Naturally she's going to be curious as to why you are doing that and will most likely react by biting. So grab a popsicle stick or other chewing toy to distract her while you are pinning the foot.

I think she goes for the head or shoulder as a place of stabilization. Once you build the trust that your hand is steady and secure it'll be half the battle won.

On another note, don't make it a habit of returning her to the cage. She may associate that as punishment and you may lose progress. It may not be a bad idea to give her a treat as soon as she gets on your arm.

Edited by BirdsAreGrey8

lol, she jumped on my arm and raced up to my shoulder so fast i think she was just a grey blur! i didn't know she could move that fast, hahaha! i was definitely surprised, but now i know she's a little speed demon when she wants to be, so i'll be better prepared next time. i'm beginning to think i need at least 5 more arms to get this training done, one for each direction she can think to go!!

Try putting a hat or something on your head to discourage her from flying there when she is out but blocking her with one hand while she tries to climb up your other arm is the best advice to keep her from going to your shoulder if you do not want her there, patience and persistence is needed for she will continue to do so for some time until she learns it is no longer allowed.

Since your grey is flighted, what I do if Ana Grey tries to go where I don't want her, is to shrug my shoulder or shake my head so that landing there or being there is very uncomfortable and just not fun! Ana Grey is very familiar with the phrases, "No, stop that" and "that's not nice." If you are consistent, they do get the message or at least quit trying so often!!!!