NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

? about not wanting to leave her cage......

Tamara

So, weve had Gabby now for almost a month!! She has been so great!! She is mimicking our wistles, and steps up and loves her head rubs :) But it seems that she likes to just be on top of her cage all the time rather than be on the couch with us (Her cage is in the living room with us). I bring her to the bathroom and bedroom with me, and she does ok with just hanging out as long as were in sight, but when were sitting on the couch, i bring her down to sit either on the arm of the couch or the back of. She automatically starts trying to figure out a way to get back to her cage. So my question is, should i just keep bringing her on the couch, or leave her on her cage until she feels more comfortable with us and climbs down from her cage to come to the couch for some scratchin?? She clicks at us on her cage when we walk by and puts her head down saying she wants it rubbed, but she doesnt really like being pet when she is off of her cage..........

Just let her hang out on the cage. As time progresses, you will see her choosing when she wishes to come and get some scratches and hang out. Sometimes, they just like to be where the feel safest, most comfortable and relax with no one in reach. :)

I've had Millie for about 5 months now and she won't leave her cage yet. It took a couple of months just to get her to come out of the cage on her own. I've had Rocky for about a month and he doesn't let me sneak off to the potty without him! She'll let you know when she's ready!

I am new to Greys, but raised a lot of other birds in the past, and one thing an old bird lover told me that makes sense, is to think of the birds cage as their bedroom, not just thier home. When someone comes to your house, you don't want them to come barging into your bedroom and dragging you out of it, and neither do they. I have always let my birds come out of their cage at their own will. Open the door and wait, if they aren't in the mood, maybe they will be later. Once you have a birds confidence they will almost always come out, notice I said ALMOST. I have a had a few days with Seuss that she just didn't wanna come out right now. then a half hour later she was hanging on the door begging to come out.

This rule I have applied to many of the rescued animals we have raised, with due diligence. If you stick your hand in the cage of A Ferret, or a squirrel or a Raccoon, expect to bring back a bloody digit. It has to be their choice :-)

Kevin