NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How To: $6 Home-made table top perch!

First I should probably tell you that I'm not much into home improvement. If it's on a car I can probably fix it, but this was a new adventure for me. After looking at some of these perches and toys in the pet store I decided that I could make some of these things myself for a lot cheaper! Below is a list of parts you'll need with part numbers. I went to Lowes but these can be found and just about any home improvement store. Time to build: About an hour if you are totally lost.

You'll need:

1. One 1/2" 5ft section of PVC Pipe #23967 Cost: $1.05

2. Eight 1/2" SCH40 Tees #23873 Cost: $0.28 x8 =$2.24

3. Four 1/2" SCH40 Elbows #23867 Cost: $0.28 x4 =$1.12

4. Two 1/2" SCH40 Caps #23937 Cost: $0.31 x2 =$0.62

5. One 1/2" SCH40 Cross #24087 Cost: $0.88

Total Cost: $5.91

395198952.jpg

I used a hacksaw and some clear RTV silicone. I went with the silicone sealant for two reasons: It has no strong fumes like the PVC adhesive, plus the silicone lets you move it around a bit before it fully dries so you have some room for error. If you don't have PVC glue or silicone, add about $4 to the above cost.

I layed out the elbows, tees, the cross "X", on the floor to get an idea where to start. Beginning at the base on the front, lay down one elbow, cut a 2" PVC piece, lay down a tee angled up at about 45 degrees, cut a 1" piece of PVC, lay a tee flat to the floor, cut a 1" piece of PVC, lay down another tee angled up at 45 degrees, cut a 2" piece of PVC, and lay down another elbow. Check for fitment and glue it together.

The next part is easy. All the straight pieces in between the other tees and elbows and going to the X in the center of the base are 4" apart. Glue the rest of them together to form the base of the perch.

Now cut two 9" long pieces of PVC pipe to form the two long legs going up to the perch. Now you need the top bar to form the perch. Put a tee on top of each 9" leg you just cut. Cut three 3" pieces of PVC pipe and glue one in between your tees, and one to the end of each tee. Glue the caps onto the end and you're done! I lightly tapped on the fittings with a hammer to make sure everything was nice and tight.

The final result should look like this: 395198953.jpg

The base is incredibly stable with the X in the middle but you could probably get away with just a straight piece of pipe going across the center.

Edited by BirdsAreGrey8

Wow that is a great looking perch and the possibilities are endless with that pipe and fittings, interested in what you come up with next, thanks so much for sharing the directions and pictures with us, any one of us could make one of these.
You're very welcome. I had the forums in mind when I was shopping for the parts and made sure I had part numbers and prices handy.

Thank you so much for sharing this, I have actually made some taller perches similar to that myself- SOOOO much cheaper-- I havn't thought of this idea tho but could really use the portability that this provides---
It's definitely handy. I made it primarily for the end table next to the couch but it can easily go in the kitchen, etc. This is a nice basic build, there are much more elaborate PVC stands other members have built here.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...