NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Latest on Meeka

boswell2k1

Meeka is a happy bird, in good health! Vet check went well, the vet was impressed with how gentle she was. She has never bitten anyone since she's been in my care. She LOVES my girlfriend, much more than me; I'm grateful for this, because I'd rather they were close than distance at any cost. She doesn't talk to me as much, and always fly's off my shoulder after a few minutes. She's real minimal as far as how much she'll let me handle her. She makes a "whoop" noise every time I'm around, so she's communicating. Her previous owner of 10 years was a female and I think that may be part of the cause why she's more loving with my gf. What can I do to earn her affection?

You can be the one who gives her the treats, that would help, but there is not much you can do about who she chooses to like better. You may just have to accept that she will prefer your gf over you, so don't take it personally. Keep talking to her and don't push for more than she is willing to give, or you could lose what affection she gives to you now.

Thanks for updating this for us, we care about you and Meeka, she sounds like a very sweet grey.

It's good to here she is settling in to her new owners and surroundings.

You are right, in the sense of her seeming to prefer a female, since that was the sex of her previous owner.

But, as time and patience progresses, it SHOULD only get better. :-)

Thanks for posting this update.

Guest Monique

Judygram hits the nail on the head. BUT if there's any plan you aren't going to either

A) Marry your girlfriend or stay with her for life

B) Let your girlfriend have the birdie if you ever split up

Then I'd not let your girlfriend bond so closely with the bird. I'd tell her hands off and the bird will bond to you more closely. It is not uncommon for Greys to be a one-person bird and if your Grey bonds with your girlfriend and your girlfriend goes without the bird it will be very stressful for your birdie.

Respectfully,

Almost .. Kind of? ... Dr. Ruth