NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eating Poop

ryknoll3

I don't see him doing it all the time, but sometimes my 3 month old Timneh will pick at his poop when he's out of his cage. I try to keep everything picked up, and when I see him do it, I move him away from the poop and clean it up. First time I saw him do it, I thought he'd just pick some up, figure out what it was and then leave it alone, but I've seen him pick some up, chew and then go back for more.

Couple questions:

1. Is this at all normal?

2. I assume his droppings are NOT good for him. Does this indicate any kind of problem or nutritional difficiency.

3. How do I get him to stop?

Moussa will do this too. If he poops on a surface, like a counter, where the poop is readily accessible, he will want to pick at it. It's almost like he's curious about it. I think Elvenking has reported a similar behavior with his Issac in another thread. Of course we also hurry to wipe it up before Moussa can mess with it.

At 3 mts old, it more than likely is a curiousity thing. Many times fecal matter is green. After it gets crusty and hard, it looks like the pellets they eat so many times they pick and chew on it. rarely do they swallow it. If it was a health problem, it could be a veggie reaction or pellet reaction. At 3 mts, I would hold off with a visit to the vet. He needs to get a bit older to see if there's a problem. Also, at 3 mts old, your bird hasn't yet eaten the various amounts of different foods you'll eventually feed. As for now, give almonds. You should have little trouble.

All in all, yummy, yummy

Edited by Dave007