NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Elliot is a boy!

stacylh77

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in awhile. I finally got Elliot's results and he is a boy. I just still don't understand why he bites me. He loves my son and fiance though. I'm the one that feeds him and chats with him all day. Shoot.. when he rings his bell I come running with his favorite snacks. I feel so bad cause he will come to me and act as though he is going to step up but after all the skin breaking bites I'm just to afraid to try anymore. I explain to him why but it still breaks my heart. I really don't know what to do. How do I overcome the fear of being bit to hold my baby again?

Stacy, I have to say if you want Elliot to step up without biting you are going to have to just do it without fear for he is sensing your fear and reacting to it, you have to be confident when working with him and as long as you show fear he will react to it. He has obviously chosen your son and fiance as his favorites and even though you are the one who spends more time with him, feeding and chatting with him that doesn't matter and there is not much you can do to change his mind but accept it. I know this is heartbreaking when you were the one who wanted him in your life but he choses others as his favorites but your relationship with him can be good but your fear of getting bitten has to end. Why not try balling your hand up into a fist when you have him step up, that way he won't be able to get a good grip on your skin because it will be taut but confidence is what you need now.

Congratulations on your baby boy, Elliot! Judy is so right, you just need to relax around Elliot. My Ana Grey loves my two grandsons all to pieces and flies to their shoulders whenever they are around. Funny thing, neither one is a "bird person". All my children are cat people, go figure!!!!

I know you are right and I'm ok not being his favorite. I just want to be able to love on him. I feel like he isn't really getting that cause they just pick him up to put him back in the cage. They don't spend time with him. When I took him to the doctor he said to show confidence when he actually bites. I tried and the little stinker wouldn't let go so now I have a nice scar. I have also been told new techniques for if he does bite but I am just trying to avoid the bite all together. I'm gonna toughen up! I promise! I will try making the fist and see if that helps. Oh and I think even through the bites he likes me best cause I'm the only 1 he willing lifts his foot to. The others have to ask repeatedly. Lol

Well then perhaps because you show body language that is not confident, Elliot is "latching" on with his beak because he wants to make sure you do not move away and he really wants to be with you. Ana Grey sometimes "beaks" me to make sure my arm is sturdy. I always offer an arm for perching. If my grey bites me I let her know she is not being very nice. To me, how do you change a bad behavior if you don't tell anyone about it! So far Ana Grey has only nibbled at me, she has only give me warning nibbles and never bitten me, yet!!!! Ana Grey knows what "that's not nice" means and if I do something she doesn't like she tell me, "that's not nice" or "stop it, be good". So our greys understand us and they are great at body language. So enjoy your baby, relax and have fun and Elliot will too!!!!