NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How can I make a collar

marions91

Hi everyone, It looks like I need your help again.

Bailey started feather plucking when I went away for a weekend. I hoped she'd stop plucking after a few days, but she's still at it.

I read about a collar made from plumbers pipe. Can anyone give me some advice on this or maybe some instructions on how to make one. :confused:

Elizabethan collars are usually gotten from a vet. He's the one that can design it for the particular animal. On birds, they usually don't work. It can inhibit eating and natural movement. Many will develop an aggressive attitude afyterward. Plucking many lessen but only because the bird is being blocked off from the feathers. The bird is usually uncomfortable and any nervousness that the bird has will increase when the collar is removed. Any plucking issues need time to deal with so that the problem will lessen and it does take a while. If your bird just plucked because you went away, that type of action is called acute plucking and will lessen on it's own. A bird that plucks all the time no matter what's going on is called a chronic plucker and they won't ever stop. That's the most common type of situation where a collar is used and it has to do with skin destruction. It's done many timers with cockatoos. Collars usually * treat the symptom, not the cause*.

Edited by Dave007

I think a visit to the vet would be a good idea. Kito did the exact same thing to me. I kept thinking she would stop. When she started snapping off her flight feathers I took her in. It turned out she had an infection in her throat. That was almost 2 months ago and we just celebrated 3 days of no feather chewing (knock on wood!!!).