NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to stop biting

Laurie

With my bird biting is a major problem I get bit so hard that i shed teers.so I was wonering if there was any way to have less pressure or no biting at all.

Guys, this is from my son, Brett (age 10). I've been trying to explain to him that Klaus doesn't mean to hurt him and that we need lots of patience, and we need to be careful. He really wanted to post this, though, and I think it would mean a lot to him to get some personal answers, just for him. Also, I've been like a broken record telling him to be slow and gentle, and never approach with your hand above his head. Brett's not a bad kid, I think it's just that he's a kid and inherently makes Klaus a little nervous.

Thanks again!

Hi Brett, I have 4 kids, ages 8,12,15 & 18. My 12 year old has gotten bit a lot. He doesn't do anything wrong, so he knows how you feel. My advice to you would be to approach him slowly, and keep your hands down by your side or hidden from him. They usually bite out of fear, so even though you do nothing wrong, he is nervous enough that he's unsure around you, and will bite for that reason.

You could try approaching him slowly with a treat or a toy. Sometimes they just want to be left alone and can't tell kids that, so they will bite to communicate that. Also if he knows you will yell or cry, or make any sound when he bites, it will become a game to him and it will continue. I know it's hard, but in time it will get better if you give no acknowledgment to his biting. Good luck, and listen to your Mom. She's a smart lady! :)

BRETT, please join our "Parrot-Bite Me Club". There are a lot of us members there. You earned it!! Tell your mom to check it out! You won't feel so bad after reading our stories, you're not alone.:P<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2007/08/31 03:28

Talon has given you some sound advice, but also make slower movements, children tend to be very active and make sudden movements and that tends to make them nervous, and therefore bite. Go easy and slower and offer something that he loves to eat and maybe it will eventually pay off in fewer or no bites.

Most greys don't like to be patted Brett. Some do, but most don't. You may have one, like I do, that doesn't want to be touched. So, it's best to respect it's wishes, and not try to pet it. He will learn to trust you much quicker and be less apt to bite I hope!