NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aviary

Dave007

Wow! I never seen anything like that! It is enormous! Whose is it? Yours?

And the surroundings, nature!...I was in awe.. It is so beautiful!

Is it normal for some birds to look so bald? And as it seems, bald ones stayed on the lower perches and on the ground. Is it part of the dominance? Order of things?

Tnx for sharing! Zakica loved the sounds! Watched very attentively ;-)

no, it's not mine. There's a few large avairies around the US that were built for birds that could no longer be petsfor many reasons. Also, there's retired breeders, some others that have minor handicaps,some that have permanent injuries, some that are pluckers but perfectly healthy. There's no dominance there as far as baldness. They just happened to be perching in different areas. Most aren't human friendly. The place is built to imitate where they come from. There's other avaires that are around that house other species. The aviaries aren't rare here in the US. There's many others that are much larger this one. They only have about 150/ 200 greys there. It's their last home and most are very happy and yes, if your bird is around, it will hear the natural sounds of the other greys and join in with the others. Rarely will they make imitation human sounds when they're with their own kind.

Thanks Dave for sharing the video links to the Project Perry sanctuary for the african grey parrots, I have been there and it is an amazing place for those birds to live out the remainder of their lives. That one end is closed in the wintertime and heated then in the warm months they have the use of the entire structure for open air flying, perching and just doing what comes naturally. It sounds very peaceful in the video and it was like that when I visited. All kinds of limbs have been arranged to give the birds opportunities to climb and chew to their delight, you could see how they have chewed the stand that holds their food and water trays, eventually they have to be replaced. These greys are not adaptable and that is why they have been given a place where they may enjoy each other and live out their days in somewhat of a natural like habitat. This is a non profit organization that depends entirely on donations to keep and feed these birds. The day I visited I helped to put together the bowls of food that went to some of the other birds they had housed, the adaptable birds were in the house itself, several rooms were converted into avaries and it was alive with all kinds of bird sounds, I intend to visit again.

That is a beautiful aviary... I had never heard of Project Perry before I clicked on those links and watched some of their vids on YouTube. I followed another link of theirs from their website and ended up reading about 31 macaws that were seized from horrible conditions, and became property of the state--but unfortunately the story did not have a happy ending at all, I was so upset to read what happened to them. :( :( :(

But it is good to know how hard these people are trying to make these wild-caught birds and others safe and relatively happy as they live out the rest of their years in captivity, it's the closest thing to being back in the wild I suppose they would ever get to experience.