NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can you say YOSHI?

rbpittman

Today is the day we see the vet! Our appointment is at 11:00 and I'm so excited. Once this visit is done we should start the integration process. I'm nervous, excited, jumpy, can't sit still, want this done so I have all my fids in one place.

For the past couple of weeks I've been making sure I talk to Dixie, Beau, Morgan, Blue & Bean about their new sibling YOSHI. I know they know she's already in the house, they can hear her and she can hear them. Yoshi has had free reign of the three bedrooms of the house and figured out how to get into the kitchen when I'm fixing breakfast. Not having her in the same room has helped with the bonding process without the competition of the others for my attention, but dividing myself across the house has presented more of a challenge than I had anticipated, not because of time or distance, but due to the fact that I don't want to be away from any of them. It's been so difficult to not just take Yoshi out to the office and put her in her cage.

All of the other babies have had plenty of time to explore Yoshi's cage - all the excitement of something new, without the worry of intimidating Yoshi. Of course we've told them every time one of them have ventured over that "this is Yoshi's cage, you can look, but you can't claim" and give them a minute to "look" and then remove them to their own cage. Fortunately for me, Dixie is the only one who's territorial about their cage (she does let Beau visit though).

Yoshi has been happily bonding with everyone in the house. Yes this is the honeymoon and I'm sure she'll choose a favorite, but we'll worry about that at a later date. How's a girl to choose with four people in the house who already love her. My only real concern is that she decides to love my husband who is already taken by Dixie. (Dixie doesn't share her man!) Of course Sarah and LP are both praying that they are her chosen one, I just want her to be happy, those things will come in time.

Yoshi has been chattering up a storm here, quick to play "peek-a-boo" and let us hear her vocabulary. I can definitely hear Jessica's and Mike's voices, something she will always have with her. My husband was very impressed with her willingness to shower - he was surprised when I left the door opened just enough for Yoshi to fly in and join him yesterday morning.

Well enough about the last few days - I will leave you all in anticipation of the events to come this afternoon.

Robin

I am really impressed with how quickly Yoshi has settled into her new home, kind of like she has been there all along but I am really glad it is going so smoothly and though there will undoubtedly be some kinks in the chain I see her blending in with the other birds, she will probably love the company since she was an only bird at Jessica's house.

Please don't make us wait too long to find out how the introduction to the rest of your flock goes Robin.

I'm so sorry to make you all wait until today for the update - the time spent with the introduction to the flock was much more important and extraordinarily gratifying.

First - vet visit went wonderfully. It was colder than I suspect Yoshi was used to so I covered the travel cage with a small quilt to go outside. Yoshi didn't particularly like this, but I had already warmed up the car so she didn't have to stay under wraps for any real length of time. Dr. J was so funny when he met Yoshi, he was talking to her in a baby voice and she said "beeped" her disappointment. He quickly changed his tone to normal and again Yoshi responded, this time with a better "beep." Yoshi is fully flighted and Dr. J expressed some concern about this with the introduction to the flock. Would she respond well to me, what had we been working on prior to the integration process, how was she handling the change in environment. All those same concerns I'm sure you are all having. Health wise, she's "the picture of health." She's quickly adapted to the Harrison's pellets, eating them with gusto and leaving her Roudybush. This could be a temporary thing since they are "new" so we are including the "old" with the "new" for safety's sake and continuity, and Dr. J. reiterated that sentiment. He was very pleased with her socialization. Yoshi was not very happy with having to be examined but she quickly went back to her happy self once back in the safety of her travel cage.

When we got home I decided that since we had already had an adventure it would be best to let Yoshi settle down a bit and get comfortable again before making the move to the flock. I set her up with lunch of pomegranate and green beans and spent a couple of hours with the rest of the flock. I took each of the birds out and explained to them that Yoshi would be joining them in the afternoon and they were to make her feel welcome and giver her some space to adjust. After everyone had been informed, I took Dixie (Your Royal Highness to the rest of the flock) to meet Yoshi in the spare room where Yoshi has been camping. I had set up a chair and a Yoshi's playstand and let Dixie explore it. She didn't seem at all impressed with "the bird in the cage." I sat there with Dixie on the playstand, Yoshi in her cage and just talked to them, making the formal introductions, explaining how things were going to happen and when they were going to happen. Dixie remained unimpressed and Yoshi started to make a few noises. Suddenly Yoshi said "peek-a-boo" and Dixie responded immediately with "I see you." I cried. Acceptance.

I took Dixie back out to her room and went and got Yoshi. Knowing the rest of the flock would follow Dixie's lead I let everyone out of their cages and set Yoshi on top of hers. She was so happy to be back in her "home" and explored it quickly - making sure all her "stuff" was back in it's original place. The remainder of the afternoon and evening was spent just watching everyone. Morgan could have cared less that Yoshi was there. Beau wanted to go make friends immediately. Blue & Bean - well their other names are "fear and chaos" so they had no opinion. Dixie did very well - the closest she got to Yoshi's cage yesterday was her swing (it's between their cages). She was intrigued, but behaved herself very well.

Now why did this go so well for the very first time - I have to credit reading this forum and the experience of those who have gone before me. Understanding and treating the birds with respect, acknowledging the first of the flock and their position in the flock. Yes I have integrated other birds into the flock, I didn't start with "10" but each addition has been the same, quarantined until vet checked, talking to the flock and letting them know what is going on. Respecting the flock leader (the first bird) and knowing the personalities of each bird. That takes a lot of time and energy. I'm thankful I've been given the opportunity to do so. What I've been rewarded with was Dixie's acceptance of Yoshi, her willingness to be accepting and Dixie responding to Yoshi's "peek-a-boo." We've been hearing it all morning!

Pictures to come soon.

Robin

• Haha 1

I think you have handled everything beautifully, you do have the experience but the introduction couldn't have gone any better than it did, wow I love how Dixie answered Yoshi's peek a boo comment, yes that is acceptance and I just bet there will be some grand times in that office in the near future with all of them interacting and getting along.

I can't wait to see some pictures of Yoshi and the rest of the flock and I wish I could be a fly on the wall to witness some of the shenigans that will be going on soon, keep us posted Robin as I know you will.

I sat there with Dixie on the playstand, Yoshi in her cage and just talked to them, making the formal introductions, explaining how things were going to happen and when they were going to happen. Dixie remained unimpressed and Yoshi started to make a few noises. Suddenly Yoshi said "peek-a-boo" and Dixie responded immediately with "I see you." I cried. Acceptance.

I can't even tell you how emotional I got when I read that. Wonderful! I am so happy the transition is going so easily for all of you...

"Peek-a-boo." "I see you." *SIGH!* :)

Well the introductions all went well, but I can't say that everything else has gone as smoothly. Of course the main players are still Yoshi and Dixie as they are both females (I say that just because, not specific reason regarding the breed). Yoshi didn't take long to unpack her bags and make herself at home, which literally thrills me to death. That's what I really wanted to happen as opposed to Yoshi not coming out of her shell. She's very sure of herself and that's a great thing. Dixie on the other hand is Queen of the Flock and Princess Yoshi hasn't quite realized the implications of this. Both birds are fully flighted, so we add that to the mix and you put me in the picture constantly jumping up and moving Yoshi back to her place and Dixie back to hers. We've only had one squabble in this time, Dixie was on her boing and Yoshi decided she wanted to fly there as well. Yoshi saw Dixie, hovered for a few seconds and quickly went back to her cage. The biggest problem at this writing is Yoshi learning to stay in her own area, away from the others. She's only wanting to be friends with them, but they aren't quite ready to do that....of course it's only been a few days, she will rub off on them in time, she's not going anywhere.

On the bright side - the "peek-a-boo" "I see you" game is the majority of the conversation between Dixie and Yoshi, it's wonderful listening to. Beau has loosened up his tongue quite a bit in the last few days vying for attention, now saying "hey Boo-Boo" (a nickname for LP) and Morgan has gotten into the "night night" chant. Yoshi's letting me hear more of her vocabulary, which is wonderful. All in all, I figure the last few days incidents and introductions have gone very well. No lunges from anyone, just one very inquisitive TAG in a room filled with CAG's, Conures, and an Amazon!

Robin

So where do I begin??? Life in what once was my office is definitely interesting, exciting, scary and fulfilling.

Yoshi has been fitting in very well with the rest of the flock. She's expanding her vocabulary as well as the vocabulary of Dixie, Beau, and Morgan. The peek-a-boo game is always going on, but with four players you never know who is going to "see you." I'm not sure who is learning more Beau or Yoshi. Beau has been my slow to talk CAG but since Yoshi showed up he's expressing himself more and more every day. Thank you very much Yoshi.

Yoshi is probably having more adjustment problems than the others are in that she came from being the only bird in her home to the new kid on the block in a house full of birds. She's testing the waters with great vigor however, and learning exactly what the limitations are for her. I am trying to do all of the proper things in this long term introduction, it's not something that will happen overnight and I'm aware of the potential pit falls. Having been through this with Beau and Morgan does make the process easier however. Persistence and patience is the key to tackling and dealing with everything that comes along in this introduction with the new "roommate." The biggest issue at the moment is Yoshi's desire to be on the other birds cages. This is where we have to be diligent in our supervision and not taking anything for granted. Of course Dixie pushes this still, but she knows when Mommy say's "go back home," I mean it. With her now all I have to do is stand up or if already standing take one step toward her and she flies back to her cage. Yoshi on the other hand is in the learning process of this command. Her favorite at this moment is Morgan, who does not like anyone on his cage whatsoever, and rather than take a chance on a hurt toe, I'm having to constantly take Yoshi off of Morgan's cage. Yoshi being fully flighted makes this process a little more difficult, but I'm very pleased that Yoshi is now coming to me on command as opposed to just sitting there ignoring me. The only other issues we've seen with Yoshi is her willingness to bite without warning. While I know to watch her body language, she loves to test how much we are paying attention to her. She's not biting hard enough to break the skin, but she is pushing her ability to be in control. Again, patience and gentle words with consistent follow through is required. This behavior is much less apparent today than it was two weeks ago.

Balancing the time with each bird has not been as much an issue as I had thought it might be. Dixie of course has her favorite person, my husband. She's out of cage for the majority of the day, and when he gets home from work is permanently attached to him, or in his line of sight. Beau has actually been more independent than before. I'm assuming that this is coincidence since he's getting older and more confident in his own abilities, but he also knows that he's able to get to me when he needs/wants to. Yoshi loves to sit on my left shoulder and Beau on my right, so they have managed to work out their "perfect spots" without any problem. It makes studying fun when you have both of them wanting head scratches at the same time but you need to turn the page in the book, or type the paper that is due! Morgan, being an Amazon, is happy to give loads of kisses and without having to be on me. He has his favorite spots in the office and loves to climb all over the rope door. Yoshi seems to have fallen for LP (my son) and flies to him the moment she sees him, so he's thrilled that she's willing to be with him.

What I can say about this introduction that is different than before is that I'm bringing in an older bird to the flock who has a distinct personality and habits that need to be learned and understood as opposed to the babies that were brought in previously (Beau and Morgan were each 4 months old when introduced; Yoshi is almost 2 yrs. old). The diligence and level of attention is much higher to the actions of each bird, and the reward is as equally heightened. Still working on the pictures - I know, everyone wants them!

Robin

I would imagine that Yoshi would have a few problems blending in with other birds around since she was an "only" child but in time she will, she needs time to allow her to find her place in amongst your flock and you will have days you will wonder what the heck you got yourself into but it will all work itself out so be patient. BTW, I think you are doing one heck of a job with all of them.

I will wait patiently for pictures as I know you have your hands full at the moment and they come first so when it settles down some then you can oblige us with those pictures.

It certainly does take time and diligence to introduce a new bird into the flock. But so rewarding when they finally all find their places and mesh their personalities into a workable relationship. Of course, it helps when your birds know your body language as well as you do theirs. Everything seems to be moving along smoothly, great job!!!!

Judy, you hit the nail on the head with Yoshi trying to find her place in the flock, and this is the biggest problem we are facing. I really feel for Yoshi in this matter as she's trying very hard to be herself, something I applaud, but is having to be removed from various places because they belong to someone else. She just wants to be friends and is very very curious about everyone else and their cages. She does not react negatively when being removed and put back on the playstand or her cage.

I will say she's eating extremely well and the change to Harrison's went much smoother than I had expected. She absolutely loves her fresh vegetables and fruit and is quick to dive head first into her bowl at breakfast, lunch and dinner. She's learned to navigate her way from my office to my bedroom with no problems. I was taking a nap yesterday (trying hard not to give into this fever and chills) and was awakened by this little chirp from Yoshi who was sitting on the pillow next to me. Seconds later Sarah came in looking for her. She was letting everyone out for the afternoon since I wasn't feeling well and Yoshi apparently missed me. Sarah is going to take pictures this afternoon so I can post them later.

Robin

I have finally figured out how to get everyone out of their cages at the same time and in good spirits without any troubles! YEAH!!! Was I able to replicate the process YES! This morning I went out to let everyone out while fixed breakfast. This has been the norm for ages, except I had to leave Yoshi in her cage while everyone else got out for about an hour in the morning. I brought Yoshi with me to the kitchen this morning, the flying started again immediately, and by the time I was done she was back on my shoulder. We walked out to the office, I set down the tray, and set Yoshi onto her cage. Again she stayed until her food was put into her cage. As soon as their breakfast is served, they all go into their cages to investigate, eat their breakfast and cage doors are closed. I change out their cage papers, and we're off to get LP ready for school. Routine is very important. Will this work tomorrow morning? Wait and see.

Yoshi is a flyer. She has been from the beginning I assume, having never been clipped. The rest of the flock were all clipped when they came home (not my choice, all flighted now). The minute I would let Yoshi out (of course after hugs and kisses) and set her down to play, she would take off. Flying around the room, exploring, and landing on every place she should not be (the tops of other cages). Well I got a bright idea yesterday morning and decided to let everyone out at the same time, except after all hugs and kisses were done I didn't set Yoshi back on her cage. I took her to the living room. All ceiling fans off. All windows with curtains down. Fly Yoshi. I swear she went through the entire house flying, navigating, stopping and calling. I returned her call, she flew back to me. Off she went again, making circles - through the living room, down the hall way, left turn down next hallway, into the kitchen, back to the living room. This went on for about 20 minutes and TA-DA she was done. She came back to me, climbed up on my shoulder, and stayed. So I went back to my office, set her on her cage and sat down in my chair. I didn't have to get up once to remove Yoshi from being in the "wrong" place. I needed to learn how to make Yoshi happy, everyone else happy, and satisfy her need to fly.

I've been writing about this integration of a new bird into the flock for everyone else to follow, not that I have special insight into the process, but because I have a situation that many have been interested in. What I am learning about this process is different from the others. There are so many questions posted daily about the process, should/shouldn't we get a new bird, how do we do the introductions, etc. What I can say simply is that each and every bird is completely different. I have seven (7) parrots and each has a very different and distinct personality. They do not all get along with each other. There is one who cannot come into my office. They are not children, you can not tell them, play nice and don't bite your brother. A timeout in the corner isn't appropriate. They don't share toys well. Yoshi has been with us for almost four weeks now and it's been a totally different experience than any of the previous six. The reasons can range from she's an older grey (2 years old as opposed to being 4 months old when brought home) to being a different (slightly) species, to her being a female, to .... the list can go on. Primarily it's hit and miss. What works for me, won't work for you. Why? Who knows, ask your bird. Patience, persistence, and most of all paying attention to the small details of your bird(s) is extraordinarily important. Don't not try something because I didn't do it, don't try something just because I did. Examine all possibilities though and think them through.

Robin

Way to go Robin in finding out what makes Yoshi happy and it will all work itself out just fine. I have to commend you for your perserverance in finding the balance with 7 parrots but don't sell yourself short as you have done a wonderful job. Yoshi is finding her place in your menagerie of fids and what you have tried can and will work for others but some it won't, it depends on the individual personality of the particular bird and the situation.

I have used this thread to show others how it can work bringing another fid into the flock and will continue to do so for even if the same methods don't work for them there is still much to learn from you but if nothing else it shows it is possible.

Thanks so much Robin for updating us on Yoshi and how she will fit in with the others but lets not forget the pictures as we have waited patiently, hint hint.

Thanks for the update :) I'm so glad things are working out.

Yoshi sure does love her ability to fly around. One thing though, if you read through some of my older posts, Yoshi WAS clipped as a baby and after her first few flights. Very clumsy her first year. It took a long time for those flights to start growing back and if you check her wings she should have two or three clipped feathers still? Unless those have now fallen out? She was a crazy flier at first but quickly learn't control and now flies pretty great. That was a long process though :P

I would really like to see some pictures!