NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Recently been put into the posession of a grey.

Hi,

I am Kevin, I live in Sw Iowa and was recently taken over by a rescue/rehome Congo African Grey.

An Elderly couple that has had her for 10 years is moving to an apartment, and both have COPD and needed to find a good home for her. My wife manages the apartments that they are interested in and they got to visiting and hit it off. My wife thought I was ready for a bird again, after a big loss many years ago due to a house fire. We went to visit them, me and the bird hit it off great, so we brought her home. She a beautiful girl and her and I have bonded way faster than I ever thought possible.

The reason i say rescue/rehome is that even though the previous owners did talk to her and such, and genuinely loved her, they had not taken her out of the cage for 5 years, she had no toys, and was severely lonely. Which is why I think she bonded with me so fast. Within hours of getting her home she was climbing on my shoulder and giving me kisses, whistling and looking much happier. The previous owners have had her for 10 years, but the owner before that I have no idea, all I know is it was a man. I already love her to death and look forward to a lifetime of friendship with her.

I will ask some question i have about her in the Rehome forum, after I peruse it a bit more.

My wife and I aren't new to birds, we used to raise cockatiels, Parrotlets, and some love birds as a hobby in our home about 15 years ago. Nothing big, just a few mating pairs, all rescues btw. When we got into it we thought it would be for extra money. But it was hard to make money when you fall in love with every bird you raise, and can't sell it. tragically we had a house fire and lost all of our beautiful babies. So it has taken me this long to agree to another rescue, and it turned out to be our beautiful grey named Seuss.

I look forward to meeting you all in here, and making sure I Learn how to correctly work with her. I can already see a huge difference in personality and cuddliness of our previous birds.

Thanks

Kevin

EDIT: I added a couple of pictures i had on this pc, will add more later.

Edited by Sarconastic

Hello Kevin and welcome to our family, I think you stated that correctly, you have been taken over by a grey for they seem to be the ones who own us and not the other way around.

I am so glad you could open your heart to give this grey a new forever home for it seems she needed it so badly, I am sure they loved her but maybe they just didn't know the needs of a grey, that they need attention along with the love and care, in any case she is getting it now and is blossoming under your care.

Since you are more familiar with smaller birds do read thru the threads here for lots of useful information and do ask those questions you have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of Seuss you would share with us we would love to see her.

Hi and welcome!:-) Loved your story although your previous experience with birds ended so horrific. But, now you are here, have a CAG, fresh beginning and he'll melt your hart completely, if he didn't already;-)

Looking forward to many, many pictures and stories about your new feathered friend:-)

WELCOME Kevin and Seuss!!!!!

three words-----> GOD BLESS YOU!!!<-------

I cant help but chuckle every time I read the "title" of your post-- "Possession" it's just the way it hit me I guess but I can't help but think how Possessed I am with Greyson!!!!! or more like how Im at his every command and wish!! but Possession is a greyt word in the world of GREYS!!!