NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sydney's Self Mutilation

Sheryl & Sydney

Hi, I'm new to this site but I have been posting on Too Talk on Birds N Way since I am also owned by a U2. I am the mom of my 15 y/o daughter who adopted Sydney, a Congo African Grey from a local shelter in September 2010. Per the shelter, she was purchased from her prior owner as a "breeder" and is approximately 10 y/o. Her name was Monty (yuck) and from what I gather, the old owner had 4CAG's & the owner was found dead, so the rescue came for the flock. Not sure if Sydney saw him die or what. In his care, she was always a feather plucker but not a mutilator. She was at the rescue from last April 2010 until we adopted her in Sept. 2010. We chose her from 2 others b/c of her sweet, curious & fearless personality. At that time her chest from neck to toes was bald with a good size wound in her chest (maybe the size of a quarter). We visited Sydney at the rescue each weekend for a few weeks before adopting her so we could get her new home ready. Some weeks her chest would looked aggravated and other times it looked like it was clearing up with some feather growth. We knew when we adopted her that she would require lots of TLC and work and we were ready. That brings us to today. We have had Sydney for 4 months. When she arrived home, she was quarantined to my daughter's room until we have her vet checked for beak & feather-negative but was put on Baytril antibiotic for her wound. From her adoption in Sept to today, we've had her on seeds, then on a holistic (no wheat, no milk) diet, fresh fruits (she didn't like), fresh veggies (tolerates carrots), lots of toys, lots of snuggle time, daily baths then baths once a week, a regular bed time routine, put a strip light over her cage, then removed it. Clean her cage regularly. Have misted her with all natural Aloe/Water to sooth her. We either put the bird sitter video on or the radio on when we're not home and she has full access to see outside. We've brought her downstairs with the other flock of 5 to "hang out". She's on clomipramine for her OCD with her chest. A week ago Sunday, she almost blead to death. Took 4 hrs of calm and diligent work to get the vein to stop pumping (squirting) blood out. She just got lucky that it was the weekend and I happened into her room and found her, otherwise, her fate would have been realized since we all work and go to school during the week. Since that time, we went to our local vet for an avian e-collar (she ate 4 in less than a week) Took her back to her avian vet last Sat. (1 1/2 hrs away) who fitter her with two collars (spherical and e) and is back on Baytril, on a critical care formula & a topical antibiotic for her open wound (which has grown from quarter size to stretching from one wing across her chest and headed toward the other wing). She lost .47 grams since Sept. They cauterized her main bleeders and was given a dap or two of styptic powder. (The stress of the collars, etc. caused the large scab to crack and she began to lightly bleed.) Of course the stress of our 1 1/2 hr drive + our 1 1/2 hr vet visit + 1 1/2 hr drive home (with her new double collar gear), made for a very upset & mad Sydney. I'm in tough love mode in a desperate effort to keep her with us. I can't allow her to further harm herself. (BTW, we've had a few less severe scares with ther and bleeding, but this last time she got a main vein and it was squiring out). We're hand-feeding her 3x / day by syringe, snuggling with her as much as she will allow, giving her both the oral and topical antibiotics 2x/day and puting her to bed at 8:30 pm. We've been providing lots of things to destroy since she cannot destroy herself and she does quite a number on that stuff. She is the sweetest bird, loves to snuggle, bark, bob her head, sing, whistle, mimmick and give kisses. She doesn't have a mean bone in her body to anyone but herself. My next move is to move her and her cage downstairs with the other birds and around the hub bub of our home. Maybe she's lonley? Also, after her wound finishes scabbing, will begin removing the e-collar for supervised periods of time. Maybe the injury just hurts and bugs her so she gets relief by picking at it, but if it's cleared up ad she's found that destroying newspapers and cardboard is better, she will leave her chest alone. Any ideas, recommendations, insight, advice would be greatly appreciated in an effort to help her live a quality of life. She's worth it!

Thanks All.

Sheryl & Sydney

I like the idea of moving her to a place where she is around the rest of "the flock" (which includes the human members). I know that my grey even likes the dog. And the dog likes him because Neo throws his food out of the cage at the dog. It seems to be quite the symbiotic relationship! Good luck and please keep us updated on how Sydney is doing.

OMG! Kudo's to you for all you have done and continue to do for your sweet baby. I wish I could help but I have had no experience with a self mutilating bird, I do agree with Barbara about moving her in with the rest of the flock and family. You are a very special person and Sydney is so fortunate to have you.

Karen

I too have no real help to offer other than what the others have said about moving her to where she is with the other members of your flock but it breaks my heart to read your story and I have to say that you are doing all you can to help her, I will keep good thoughts that she will stop the mutilating and allow her skin to heal. She is a precious bird and she is so blessed to have found you.

Wow, You are one of the BEST parronts and Sydney is so lucky to have you! My baby's story isn't about mutilation, but he did have some issues, maybe his story will help.

When I got my Beau he was totally naked on his chest. From there he went to totally destroying his right wing - to the point of his vet removing 22 flight and secondary flight feathers. I did my best to keep him from heights, but his determination to be near me would cause him to jump off even the shortest perch on the ground and crash, causing breaks in his skin right on the breast bone. We went through all of the normal bathing twice a day, once with clear water, the second with aloe. After multiple scares with his chest wound, the scab would get pulled off by: Beau himself, rubbing it on the cage, rubbing it on a toy, rubbing it on his perch, falling, using his beak, you name it, I used aloe gel. I applied the aloe gel every four hours to keep the scab from becoming to dry. The dry scab would itch, pull on the skin, irritate Beau and cause the process to be repeated. After almost 3 months of this ugly scab and on his chest which only seemed to grow larger and larger, it fell off, and revealed a beautiful little pink chest! Today he's completely covered in feathers on his chest. His wing is growing new feathers and he's not destroying them. I got Beau 16 monhs ago and while he's still not "perfect" in appearance, he's perfect for me. He still gets a daily shower, is the sweetest little guy and loves to snuggle. I think he's perfect on matter what his feathers look like.

Keep up the GREYT work, it is so wonderful to hear that Sydney has found such a wonderful loving home. I'm sure Sydney will benefit from being with the rest of the flock and enjoy being a part of the "big picture." I can give one piece of advise and it was given to me by Dr. Flock himself - don't let your emotions about Sydney be obvious. Greys are empaths and can read you like a book, and will feel your stress and distress over their wounds and in turn stress themselves. Keep us posted on the progress.

Robin

When I first read this thread, I was so upset about what Sydney was doing that I had to walk away. Sydney's story is really painful to think about and I feel your heartache and although my re-homed ekkie is no where going through the trauma and things Sydney has gone through and experienced I can truly understand what you his parront is feeling and going through. Sydney is so lucky to have found you. I hope and pray that you find the remedy/solution/cause to help Sydney and he can finally understand that he is loved and is now in a wonderful forever home and has nothing to ever worry about again; he will never be forsaken again.

All of your posts are helpful and provide emotional support too. It is a very difficult thing to live with and watch and sometimes I hesitate on my decisions on what to do with her next and seek out advice - what has worked and what hasn't worked for others. Maybe one will stick. I read constantly. If this were a med school dissertation, I would be all over it :) I see her in her double collar and ask myself if I would see myself living "quality" in a double collar? When we adopted her, and being the owner of several other birds, one being a U2, I pretty much knew what we were getting into, but it only makes it harder because you love her so much. I talk to her about her "habit" when we snuggle and tell her to let it all go and start over with us and that we won't let her down. I contantly give her kisses and assure her that she can beat this "thing". Whether she understands me or not, I guess I soothe myself too! My daughter is such a tropper as well. She bears the weight of this also as it is her bird. Sydney is teaching us both a few things about life and the quote that I found on this site pretty much sums it up "Never take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway"! We will vigillanty and dilligently keep working with her in hopes of at the very least clearing up the wound so we can see the nice pink skin as posted below (that was a heart warming and positive thought-thanks) and over time removing her collars as needed to supervised breaks.....will try to reteaching her allowing her to relearn how to appreciate the wonderful life that she has and let all the past go. I truly believe it is all emotional with her and that something in her past got her to this point. At the end of her day, whenever that is, I want her to have lead a quality of life with us, whatever she choses that to be.........just need help getting there.

Sheryl & Sydney

Welcome Sheryl & Sydney so glad you have shared your difficult story. Living with a mutilation bird is an up and down roller coaster with the good days and bad ones. If any one can understand it is me with Fred the E2 who came to us after having to have two surgeries to close his chest . He will most likely spend his life in jacket and collar but he is a happy loving bird for all that. You are on a good track with the holistic fresh healthy foods, frequent baths, lots of shredding toys and a great Veterinarian to back you up.

What a story and welcome to the forum.

The others have given excellent advice.

As others have already said, my hat is off to you for your efforts and loving care your providing. As another mentioned, Aloe gel on the irritated bare areas will help tons. Perhaps instead of the collars, you might wish to try a chest cover you could make out of something like a LARGE sock cut to size that you could pull over her chest area to prevent further picking at the scab and resolve the issue of the collars limitation and irritations caused by it. I have seen many people successfully using chest area covering tubes to alow time for wounds to heal and feathers to regrow.

One note though, if this is a chronic plucker that has been doing so for a long period of time, it is unlikely any treatment will resolve it.

I would love to hear more and see photos if you are willing and have the time. :)

Thanks - I will post pics when I can sit still long enough and learn how. Also, since we adopted her to Sat. before her vet visit, she would poop in her cage and now she won't. We bring her out as often as we can but sometimes it's 6+ hrs before we get her out. She will poop on her playstand, the floor and me but not in her cage?? Any ideas?? Weird....

Also, I do have a jacket for severe pluckers for her but when we put it on her she refuses to stand, rolls around on the floor, puts her talons under it, screams, and pulls out ever feather she can as fast as she can. We take it off after 30 seconds and 30 missing feathers later and she's fine? When I tell you she's is complicated and calculated, she is.......

Thanks

Edited by Sheryl & Sydney