NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greyso's 1st Checkup

Sherrie

Greyson's 1st checkup is tomorrow at 10am! I am really excited and Nervous at the same time. Can you guys give me some pointers on how to keep Greyson from being so traumatized by this visit? I know they will take blood and do an xray... What will the basic exam be like, ie@ what particular things will he be doing to Greyson?

How do they do xrays on a bird, Do they have to sedate him? Im really worried about that. Thanks a bunch!

Will keep you posted!

If you are taking him to an avian vet they will know how to handle him without causing too much trauma but it does vary from bird to bird but don't be nervous about the visit or Greyson will pick up on that and if the vet and technicians take over for the examination while you just watch then that will help too to keep you from being the "cause" of the distress. My grey usually handles the exams just fine and soon after leaving the vet's office goes back to her usual self and Greyson probably will too.

They will examine him all over, under the wings, tail and listen to his heart and other things, I don't know about an xray if they have to sedate them for that, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will chime in on that but just keep calm and relaxed when he is being poked and prodded and then you can step in and "save" him from them.

I can only speak from our experience with our wonderful avian vet. Katie has had blood taken and she had an x-ray after an injury. She wasn't sedated for the x-ray, but I could hear her squawking through two closed doors. First, Dr. Strothers performs her normal examinations and any grooming in a manner that is both loving and experienced. She uses a towel to control Katie in the examination room with me. I just sit is the corner where Katie can see me. However, she said for the needle and the x-ray, taking Katie to another area would keep her from associating the frightening and painful experiences with me. She returned both times with a panting bird who was happy to go back into her carrier. Katie was back to her chipper self within an hour. After Katie's injury and x-ray, she was towel-shy for a few months, but I slowly reacquainted her with happy toweling.

Well we both made it back in one piece!!! Greyson did very well and I was pleased with the vet. He was extremely good with Greyson and had a wonderful personality I have had some really bad vet experiences in the past and Greyson and I both liked him very well. He said Greyson is very well socialized and was the most pleasant exam he had ever given to a Grey. I could tell Greyson was nervous but the only thing he did to the vet was pooped on his hand!!!0(That's my boy!)

The vet said that Greyson was completely healthy; just small for his age. He weighed in at 386 gms. He is in no way malnourished and vet was amazed at his appetite and diet. He sd I was a great Mommie and I almost busted out in tears with pride!!! 0 The vet and my hubby both laughed at me but he could tell just how much Greyson means to me and sd that I was just an overprotective/worried mommie-- I had told him about losing Robyn recently and just needed to know if Greyson was ok and he sd he completely understood!

THE EXAM

As far as the "swallowing" parts of his toys, he said that it is quite possible that Greyson did swallow pieces but since he was not showing any signs of distress (which would have showed up in a couple of days in his opinion if there was a blockage) and all the tests came back normal, he really didn't see any need to take an xray at this point. its been about 3 weeks since he was playing with this toy so IF he had ingested them he wouldn't be eating as good and there would be some evidence in blood or pooh.. If he stops eating or he gets diarrhea or blood in his pooh then we will need to bring him back but at this point he just wants to have a wait and see approach, which I am totally ok with that.

The only part of the exam that he didn't like was when the doc had to put his hands around his neck and stretch his body out to exam his abdomen and showed me how to properly conduct this hold-- He def voiced his opinion abt that hold and when it was over, he flew out of the vets hands and landed on me and would not let the vet touch him again 0000(I COULDN'T BLAME HIM)

Greyson is not traumatized by this visit as I thought he would be, I do let fear override my little brain sometimes but I would have to say he's more pissed than traumatized .ha ha 0 .. The ride home was extremely quiet and he just sat there staring at me but as soon as we got home he began to vocalize and eat and everything is just fine now, and he is taking a nap0

Thank you all for your concern and easing my fears about the visit, I was more nervous abt the visit than Greyson was ,but it's only because of the really bad experiences I have had in the past with other vets! (another story altogether)

This vet is a keeper, I really really did like him and that's unusual coming from me!

I knew he would be just fine if you had an excellent vet which you did and he soon got over it just like mine did, he is just small boned I guess for a Cag but he is well within the normal range for weight and he is healthy so yes you worry too much, now you can get back to enjoying Greyson. Thanks for letting us know how the visit went and thats wonderful you found a good vet, definitely a keeper.

OH and one other thing that I totally forgot about! with it being cold, Greyson of course doesn't get much time out in the sun. The vet said it is not the same as sitting him in the window.I always thought that was ok but he sd it is not cause thru the window he's not getting the UV rays enough.. He sd he couldn't stress enough the importance of sunlight especially for African Greys. He told me to get a UV light and put on him at least 15 min a day! I have seen some in magazines..(Foster& Smith etc) but they are really expensive does anyone else know where I could find one fairly reasonable? The vet said that alot of times your Greys can suffer a version of (SAD) seasonal affected disorder/depression and alot of times if they just had 15 mins of lighting a day they would be less aggressive, moody, bitey. I told him yea I get that way too but it's usually PMS'ing!!!!! LOL.. Thanks guys!

He sd he couldn't stress enough the importance of sunlight especially for African Greys. He told me to get a UV light and put on him at least 15 min a day! I have seen some in magazines..(Foster& Smith etc) but they are really expensive does anyone else know where I could find one fairly reasonable?

I'm so glad the visit went well. My vet recommended the same thing for my CAG. She also recommended our local close-out store as a source for "full-spectrum" lighting fixtures and bulbs. This type may not be as specific for the task as the other bulbs but they are much better priced than the specialty lighting. Just look for "full spectrum". I keep it on at her play area about 10 hours a day and replace the bulb about every 6 months.

I keep it on at her play area about 10 hours a day and replace the bulb about every 6 months.

Is your birdie on this play area for all of this 10 hours because 10 hours IMO is way too much.

Sherrie, try at http://www.windycityparrot.com. They have 15% discount for first time buyers and for ones that haven't bought since they changed the site. I buy lamps/bulbs from UK but many other things from windycity.

Is your birdie on this play area for all of this 10 hours because 10 hours IMO is way too much.

I don't know what IMO means. However, I think the length of time spent under the lights relates to the species of bird and the type of set-up. CAGs are from equitorial regions where days are 12 hours and nights are 12 hours. I'm not using it in close quarters as I've seen on some websites. Katie would be very unhappy to have to sit still under a light for any length of time. The cubic area of her play area is 5'x5'x5'. The full-spectrum lights and timing were recommended by my avian vet for a specific bird in a specific environment. I should have been more specific in my answer.:)