NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather breaking

PrimusDCE

I have a 1 year old CAG named Pazuzu. I have had no problems with him up until this point, but I have noticed within the past week or so that his wing feathers are looking ragged and are missing small sections of the soft parts of the feather that are connected to the shaft. I believe he is ripping parts off of his feathers, but not plucking the feather outright. This is only localized to his wing feathers. His chest is perfect and looks very good, along with his tail. Is this the beginning of plucking?

I work 8 hours every day with the weekends off. If I am home, he is out of the cage so he gets plenty of time out of the cage, on a normal day he is out of his cage from about 6-midnight. I admit not all of this time is spent with direct interaction, but I am always right near him, he is never alone if I am home. I also provide him with a bunch of toys in his cage and keep the radio on when he is alone in the house during the work week. Other than this he seems fine, he plays with his toys constantly, sings, talks to me, and gives me kisses. He is also generally social with strangers. He just climbed onto my shoulder as I wrote this.

I am worried about a few things:

-Am I not giving him enough direct interaction?

-I live in northern Va and it has been pretty cold, could his cause issues with dry skin, itchiness, and plucking? My house is usually somewhere between 73-76 degrees and is pretty dry. I shower him once a week, every Sunday.

-I started covering his cage for the first time in the last few weeks. He attacks the blanket when I pull it off every morning. Could this change be upsetting him and this is a way to act out?

Thanks for any input you may have.

It's good that you added the picture. Some young birds do that on their backs and basically, they're chewing them, not plucking them. Those feathers will fall out and right now, it best to keep that area moisturized with water spray or sprayed with aloe vera juice which can be purchased at Walmart. More than likely, you're also sinking his beak down below the feathers and picking at an unseen area. That's a sign of itchy, dry skin and feathers that are near those areas will also get chewed on. So, try out the moisture.

***My house is usually somewhere between 73-76 degrees and is pretty dry.****

I also live in a very dry, very cold winter climate and I find that the air in the bird room needs a small humidifier on all the time. Dry surrounding air mean dry skin and a high dry temperature can add to that. ---Try 70 to 72 degrees. 76 is kinda high when it's mixed with very dry air.

***I started covering his cage for the first time in the last few weeks. He attacks the blanket when I pull it off every morning. Could this change be upsetting him and this is a way to act out?***

He may not like the cover or doesn't like the movement of the cover when you take it off. He may not be used to having that cover on and it may take quite a while to get used to it

Thanks so much for the advice Dave. I try so hard to give him plenty of time out of his cage and toys... I felt so bad thinking he could be plucking.

I will get a humidifier and pick up some of the aloe juice you mentioned.

So 70 isnt too cold for Greys? I prefer my house colder but I have turned up the heat since I bought him because I figured an African Grey would want it as warm as possible since they live in the jungle. I know they can acclimate but I did not want to him to go to bed cold.

Are you saying I could stick with the cover and he will adjust to it over time? The only reason I started doing it because it has been colder at night. As you cna see I am very paranoid about his comfort with the temperature!

Thanks again.

70 isn't too cold. Many people go even lower. During the day, people set the room up for 71 and let it cool down to approx 68. Cold sporadic drafts from the outside is what you need to worry about. They can handle colder weather. It's the high temp in a dry room that produces problems.

You can use the cover and he definitely will adjust to the point that he'll eventually expect it at night or you may not wanna use it at all. It's up to you. How he reacts when you take the cover off doesn't sound like a serious problem. Many people have a reverse problem---putting the cover on causes the bird to squawk and carry on and when it's taken off, the bird doesn't say anything.

In my room is around 70 all the time and he is fine. For the lack of humidifier (at the moment) I'm trying to bath him at least 2 times a week. If I don't do that he preens very much-so I know air is too dry. Well I know it is too dry for other reasons too, but never mind that now.. ;-)

And about the blanket...maybe it would be better if you used something made from cotton? I don't use synthetic around my bird as I wouldn't use it with my baby.. I have something like cotton towels. I don't know whether it is that relevant but I think it is.. I'm saying that in general, not that it might make a difference in your case. What I think it may make a difference is the way you pull the blanket off. In the morning, I first pull up just one side of his "towels"and say "Good morning Zak!" very cheerfully. Usually he fluffs up and he gets close to bars so I can cuddle him a bit. Then I pull of the rest. But not in a hasty kind of manner. First pull on top everything and then take it of and he doesn't have a problem. When he goes to sleep ,same procedure except I kinda play peekaboo on this side which he likes to approach. I give him kisses and talk softly and always say "Good night, sleep tight" before I close him completely. So, he associates covering with something nice... Sometimes he responds "Good night" back, sometimes adds "Sleep tight"..and we go peacefully to sleep.

I use a black cotten sheet to cover Josey's cage, it makes it dark but it allows air to pass thru, maybe you are using something too heavy but he also might not be used to the covering of the cage since you have only been doing it for a short time, you know how our greys are reluctant to any kind of change in their environment.

Thanks for the additional tips on the blanket guys.

I bought a full house humidifier and have had it running all day. I also have been spraying his back twice a day with a little water bottle I have. He is still ripping the tips of his feathers off. I really hope this fixes the issue over time, his back is looking really mangled now :(

Are you spraying with regular water? Why are you spraying him twice a day?-like a bath? Maybe you could read threads about aloe vera juice and spray him with that, and if you want to bath him, little spraying on his back isn't enough. IMO he should be bathed 2-3 times a week. At these times he should be soaked (not just the back) and it shouldn't be before going to sleep because he needs time to dry himself. Room should be cosy warm, without drafts. My bird flies around the room till he is dry.

Yes, I started spritzing him every day before I go to work and once I get home. I will keep actually bringing him into the shower for a soak on Sundays like I have been doing since I got him. I also have been running the humidifier and I believe things are getting better. I was scratching him and his feathers felt a lot softer and his skin didn't feel as "crusty" lol. Hes preening, and there is less dust. I am noticing him biting someo f hsi feathers still, but its not as bad as he was doing the past few nights. If he doesn't stop in the next few days after all this I am going to take him to the vet.

""I am noticing him biting someo f hsi feathers still, but its not as bad as he was doing the past few nights. If he doesn't stop in the next few days after all this I am going to take him to the vet. """"

Don't expect instant fast results from what you're now doing. Anything that has to do with minor feather problems takes a while to correct itself. You'll see periodic chewing and you'll also see that the feathers that are chewed will remain until your bird loses them naturally. In your picture that would be considered a very minor problem. I personally think you can hold off on going to the vet for a while. Loads of birds are in the same situation that you are. Some of those birds look a lot worse. Just give it time.

Does he get supplemental full spectrum light? They need at least an hour a day of this. The light allows their body's to convert Vitamin D to a beneficial form which give them the ability to assimilate calcium. Sometimes nutrient imbalances can cause feather-chewing problems.

Yes, he is right next to a glass sliding door that has no drapes or anything obscuring it.

His wings look much worse than the first picture I posted (I still see him biting the tips off) , but I will keep bathing him more often and have the humidifier running. Thanks.

Edited by PrimusDCE

Well, I bought the humidifier, and a UV lamp. Thanks for the additional suggestion, I did not know they needed it. I also bought a bunch of new toys and completely redid his cage, just on the off chance that he is just bored with all of his toys :P

I took him to the vet today and pretty much threw every test at him. The physical didn't show anything, he is healthy, with a little dry skin. Hopefully that is the culprit. A few of the tests will come back Tuesday, I also got him(?) sexed.

I noticed some more biting today which is really discouraging. I jsut hope it is dry skin and he will get over it eventually after a few more weeks with the humidifier and showers/ spritzing.

Don't be discouraged!:-) He is a child who needs your patience, love and perseverance. Right along with your support, no matter how long or short it takes, he'll be thriving and you'll be proud:-) I just wanna say this too, take one day at the time and we'll be right there with you:-)

What kind of UV lamp did you buy? I take it you bought avian lighting?:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was away for business for a week, but now I am back. I believe he is doing better. I think the mangled feathers I see are just the previous damage that he has preened and brought out. I took today off and sat with him, watching an entire preening marathon and not a single feather was bitten, so that is hopeful. I guess I will just keep watching him.

The bloodwork tests came back and he is a perfectly healthy male, so it is something environmental- still hoping its dry skin.

I am not sure what type of lamp I got but I got it from the aviary I shop at and it had a big Grey on the box :P. A quick question- Does the lamp need to be right over the cage or is it ok a few feet back with the bulb aimed right at his cage?

Thanks again guys for all the advice, I will continue to post updates as they come.

It's difficult to answer about distance without knowing what kind of bulb it is, it's strength but in general, any avian bulb should be about 3 ft or more away from the bird, should be over the bird so it's not directly hitting the bird's face. Wioth some lights, the distance may be farther away.

hi

just read the thread and i have the same problem with monty. he is two & half years old but has just started shredding his feathers, but unlike primusDCE monty has done all his back feathers and chest feathers too ( will try an add a pic)

i think it may have started 6-7 months ago when he clipped his wing whilst flying from the lounge to the conservatory, he broke some his wing feathers half way across and started to chew them off, i think this has just escalated into him chewing every where...

i do spray him but he growls and doesnt like it so maybe dont do it as oftern as i should as i dont want to upset him even more.

he is out of his cage all day until bed time and has so may toys and trees to keep him amused ( i have enclosed a pic) but the pic only shows a tiny protion of what he has to keep him entertained.

i would love any suggestions as to what to do as the amount of time that has passed since him catching his wing and he is still chewing. the only feathers on his chest & back is the soft downy stuff and you can see through this.

he plays and talks loads and his behaviour and diet are still the same.

he doesnt pluck the feathers out he chews them and shreds them....

thanks in advance

diane

feathers1.jpg

feathers2.jpg

feathers3.jpg

feathers4.jpg

Diane

What you have there is a more serious problem than the thread starter has. You'll need a different product to try out. It's different than water, aloe juice. First off, when a bird gets bathed with water, juice or any other product, the most important thing is that the bird's skin gets soaked. Spraying the outer feathers doesn't help with chewing/plucking. Water just runs off their back. Many times, it's a problem to soak down a bird but it must be done especially with chewer/plucker.

Growling and nippiness and squawking is something that many greys do when bathing and it's not something that should concern you. You have to put up with it and you shouldn't be worried that you're upstting the bird. The bird needs to be bathed. After any type of bathing, the bird should never be dried by a person. The wetter the skin over a long period of time, the better. All feathers will eventually dry off and it allows the skin to become less dry and the skin becomes softer.It allows the bird to properly preen itself.

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle item and also forget about what it says about screaming. All parrots scream. They're parrots.

4 rounded scoops of powder( special tiny scoop is in jar) to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer/ mister. Shake very well until clumpy pieces in mister are gone. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, discard what remains at the end of the day.

Repeat this whole thing daily.

This is a heavier duty item used for feather problems and it's worked for many problem birds.

Remember that the bird needs to be thoroughly soaked daily. There is no set time when you should stop the procedure. It can't hurt the bird

thanks for that dave, but its going to cost me £51.80 to get that shipped over here.. is there anywhere in the uk i can get some from? iv had a quick look but cant seem to find any... they want over £35 for shipping a $15 jar? i do have pure aloe juice i will start using until i can find where to get hold of this product.

thanks once again

di & monty

6584.jpg

Overall Rating

Overall Rating:

rating.gif

5 out of 5

3 /of 3(100%)customers would recommend this product to a friend.

Read all reviews

Write a review

Share this:

link-facebook.gif link-digg.gif link-delicious.gif link-myspace.gif link-twitter.gif

Product Q&A

Be the first to ask a question.

Avix Soother - Skin Soothing Spray for Parrots

Fast acting skin soother for birds which promote the healing of sensitive skin.

This patented formula provides fast acting pain relief from skin irritations, and promotes healing of sensitive skin and superficial lesions which are often noted in early feather picking and mutilation. It reduces itching and provides comfort during moulting.

Edited by di2008

I didn't realize that you were in the UK. That would be a bit too much money to spend for avitech. But I can tell you that a 16 oz jar which is a concentrate will last for about 2 to 3 yrs ( for one bird)

Although I'm not familar with the above product I checked your product and it seems okay although I don't know the ingredients like I do with the Avitech. You need to remember that any treatment you use will take about 3 to 6 mts to help your bird so if it's possible to get it in concentrated form will be better. Understand that the skin must be soaked and it should be repeated often so I really don't know how long it will last. That's the same reason I told you to ignore the *premixed bottle that Avitech sells. It's for short term use.

If your bird has sores or raw bald stops, it would be a good idea to go to a pharmacy and buy 100% Aloe Vera Gel. Not Juice. A small amount is rubbed on the raw/sore/itching dry spots. The skin absorbs it and soothes and heals the itching dry areas. When the itching and pinching eases up, the bird slows down with picking that area. I'm not sure of the price in the UK but here in the US it's about $5 for 16 oz.

DSCN0113-1.jpg

Edited by Dave007