NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hemp Seeds for Plucking

Luvparrots

I have been looking at a post here about hemp seeds being good for plucking so looked it up on the net and I understand it is supposed to be a way to go. I have ordered some sterilized (as required by law) hemp seeds to try on my plucking ekkie. He is getting much better and not plucking as he use to (aloe vera showers) but it has been a 1 1/2 years and I just want to "help" the process if I can. So wish me luck (or Sully luck that is)!!!

Good Luck and let me know how it goes! We've been using AviTech's Feather-In on Beau during the winter months to "prevent" the dry skin issues, plus adding a humidifier to the room along with the aloe baths. Everyone gets an aloe bath, but only Beau seems determined to pluck, but he's always done that. I really think most of his is anxiety from his original illness when I got him and he only plucks when I'm gone for more than a day (like a week at Winter Camp with the Boy Scouts!). Other than that he lets them grow in and he's fully feathered again.

I read that the oil of the hemp seed is a rich source of the essential fatty acids - linoleic, linolenic and gamma linoleic. (omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids) These EFA's are necessary for healthy skin, feathers and immune systems. Hemp seed is supposed to be great for people as well. Hemp seed is eaten by birds in the wild so I say to myself, why not give it a try. Sully is all ready trying to be good and plucking less so perhaps this will be the boost he needs to help him on his way. Fingers-crossed.

Actually, I am of the age of the "flower child" and this is the truth..... I am allergic to the smell/smoke of the Big M!!!! I puke like crazy for hours.. not very romantic or enticing for a young single woman. If you wanted Janet at your party you had to leave the doors open!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Malikah, I have been faithfully giving Sully, my eclectus, hemp seed, actually I give it all my parrots as it is supposedly great in vitaimins. Anywho, I don't believe it is helping my chronic plucker so far. Perhaps Sully just plucked for too long to be able to do any different (he was plucked when found about 10 years ago). I will still continue to try to help him, but I fear it is a habit he may be addicted to. But I will not give up!!!!!