NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Eye color

Shoulderin

Hi

My baby girl Bodhi was born 9/30/10. I have read about how the eye color changes over time but it seems that Bodhi's eyes are lightening more quickly than expected. They are a lighter grey now, which i read is expected around six months. Any reasons for this and is there any understanding about what causes the color changing process? Thanks! Gail

The six months time frame is not set in stone, besides your baby is almost five months old and it did say around six months, it can vary from bird to bird but I don't know what causes the color to change only that it does and eventually it will be light yellow. In any case I wouldn't worry and maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will be able to tell us why it changes.

The eye color changes because of the melinan that the iris contains. Age changes the iris color as the melinin ages. As judy says, it varies from bird to bird. All a person really needs is a birth certificate of the bird. How slow or quickly the eye color changes isn't important. After 4/5 yrs old the color has reached it's full development and after that, the age of a bird can't be known except for what the person has been told.