NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Problem?

neil.c

Ok guys here is my dilema, we are to get our new baby grey today, 15 weeks old and a real cutey, thing is i have been offered another grey but she is 5 years old, she has a nice big cage and all her toys that come with her for a lot less cash. Now the thing is do i go for the baby and bring him up our way, or do i go for the older bird and give her a loving home. Now i know that the older bird will be somewhat set in her ways but is she still young enough to learn from new "parents". Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

There are a lot of stories in this forum from people that adopted much older birds than 5 years old, and yes, they may come with baggage but every bird needs a loving forever home. And no bird is too old for playing, loving and having fun! :-) It just might take a bit longer...or not.. ;-) It really depends what you want and except of your new member of your family. You'll get a great friend either way.

If it is all the same to you..,if you just want to have a child, take the older one because the younger one will probably more easily find a new home.

Trust me, you already know the answer to your question, although you may not like it. There is not a wrong answer and you know yourself best, and what kind of parent you wanna be. So trust in your gut. Good luck and please let us know what you have decided:-)

Yes, Morana is right in my opinion. I adopted a cag when she was 2(not the same, I know). But she seems more grateful form finally having her forever home after 3 others. They do learn to love and trust. All have their own personalities, so getting a younger vs older bird isn't necessarily better

well we went with the baby, we just thought the baby would be more "open?" but my brother in law wants one so we have put him in touch with the birds owner, but i have told him to join a forum like this one and do research first to get an understanding.

Well it appears you may have both of them in your life if your brother-in-law takes the older one but definitely have him join the forum and read up on greys especially if he doesn't have much knowledge on them at the moment for they are not for everyone, he needs to know they require lots of our time and attention and we don't like to see them have to go on to yet another home if it doesn't work out.

I have both re-homed older birds and newly weaned so to me both are good ways to go. It all depends on what a person is more comfortable doing and the time and love they have to share. I'm glad you were able to find homes for both little birdies. Pictures please!!!! I look forward to meeting your brother-in-law at the Grey Forums!!!